• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got back from Dentist, and overwhelmed

G

GypsySoul

So, after all the problems I had after getting the fillings in 13-14-15, and then redoing 13 -- it didn't help.

And so now, I am looking at a RC retreat in 11 (I seem to also be reacting to the metal in this old crown...), and RC's in 13...and 14....and possibly 15. (I don't have 12, removed as a teen due to braces/overbite.)

I am beyond overwhelmed. Besides the money >.< aspect... all of those right next to each other???

I needed to take a steroid just to get the ligaments to calm down after the fillings.

And of course, there is the nagging thoughts of "but it didn't even hurt before I had these fillings in sept!" and "what if I do all this and then am hurting just as badly...or worse?"

I'm scared.
And overwhelmed.
And I am not sure how to proceed.

I am going for a second opinion tomorrow.

And to the Endodontist for an eval on Thursday.

:(

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Hi I was going to suggest you get a second opinion and see an endodontist then I read the last bit of your post.

I agree you should go and get these opinions and take it from there.

You do know that you need to inform them that you have taken steroids don't you. I had to take some because of an allergic reaction to penicillin and I was told that for a year after taking them I needed to inform my dentist or any other doctor I saw.

Let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

G

GypsySoul

Let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

Hi, and Thank you!

Oh, I probably OVER inform every doctor about everything, LOL.
I have Panic Disorder, so even going and driving in the car is tough.
But YES I will be sure to mention it, and thanks for the reminder! :)

Didn't get really great news at the second opinion dentist. He ALSO referred me to an Endo, and he ALSO thinks I will need RCT and Re-treatment (I don't know the acronym for that) on at least two adjacent teeth (and possibly the entire upper side of 15-14-13-11-10. I can't even go there in my head yet. First doctor has not mentioned 10.)

So Thursday I go to the Endo.

I am kinda scared. No, I am really scared.

I know in my head the decay was there, and it was bad, and all that. Logically I really, really know it. But I still can't help the "but it didn't hurt before the fillings!" thoughts. Not that that helps anything. But....yeah.

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
I understand how you feel on the 'I wasn't in pain before" front. It is really puzzling when you get treatment and end up with some.

It may be that the pain was going to come at some point and cause more problems for you than you have now. I do feel for you and I wish you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: for your appointment on Thursday.

I know you are scared but once you know what you are dealing with it might be a bit easier to deal with. It does sound like a lot of work on so many teeth but it is surprising how sometimes how quickly things can be made better. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

G

Grimace

What a traumatic experience for you! There is something about dental procedures that leaves you feeling bruised, battered and nervously exhausted. Then to find out some of the treatments didn't take!

I can relate to post-filling pain. I had a number of fillings, one in my back molar. Since then my jaw in that area hurts when I try to open my mouth wide and I experience tiredness/strain if I keep it open for too long, almost as if the mandibular joint or bone above the tooth was impacted in some way. With my other deep fillings, the pain and sensitivity took a good few months to settle down.

I, too, was shocked and a bit overwhelmed today when I went for my regular cleaning. After a number of cavity free visits like the ones in the Crest commercial, the dentist said I had three cavities and wanted to fill at least one. My inner child reaction was, "That's not fair" :D I endure these invasive teeth cleaning procedures to make crowns, root canals and fillings a thing of the past. I can't bear the thought of that needle and the freezing and the sound of the drill and the smell of all those chemicals! And the money!