• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

just got my dentures have questions

K

kaitlin4599

hi im a 38 year old male to female transgender. i just got my dentures for the first time on the 15th of this month. and im needing some questions answered or at least some guidance

back story: i had my teeth pulled out back in october of 2018 so went about 10 months without teeth. dentist and oral surgeon suggested this route as they didnt want me to rush the denture process plus my health insurance only covers so much money per fiscal year hence why it took so long.

anyhow dentures seem to fit fine i go back in a week for my first checkup so the dentist can see if any changes or adjustments need to be made.

so heres my issue upper dentures fit ok once i get the suction right lower dentures need a lil glue/paste no biggie

but i seem to have hyper-salivation. not gonna lie had he dentures in for 20 mins today and felt like i was drooling like a dog i lost count of how many times i had to keep on swallowing

i do have an anxiety disorder

i guess im just looking for input/guidance on how to deal with the excess salivation issue all of my friends who have dentures say they never dealt with this issue before

I don’t have dentures, but when I got my night guard I had really awful problems with saliva. I think your mouth thinks it’s a bit of food and sends a flood of saliva to help digest it!

The good news is it gets better (or it did in my case) and my mouth adapted to wearing it very quickly. Within a week I had no problems, although weirdly when I had the guard replaced a year or so later, it started up again, to a lesser extent. Again, within a few days it settled down.

Hopefully you will find it settles soon, because you only got the dentures very recently, but if not then I would mention it at your follow-up appointment. My hunch is that you won’t need to though. Good luck with your new smile!

Simple answer
FOr 38 years your system learned that if something was placed in your mouth it was to be eaten. You will accommodate in time. Be thankful you salivate well. The opposite is a significant problem.

Simple answer
FOr 38 years your system learned that if something was placed in your mouth it was to be eaten. You will accommodate in time. Be thankful you salivate well. The opposite is a significant problem.

if i may ask any idea how long it will take for the salivation issues to go away would wearing my dentures for long periods of time help since i just recently got my dentures i havent been wearing them much due to gum soreness and salivation issue

I don’t have any personal experience with this, but apparently, sucking on (sugar-free) sweets can help, as well as taking frequent sips of water. It seems to be quite a common problem, but one that gets better over time.

I don’t have dentures, but when I got my night guard I had really awful problems with saliva. I think your mouth thinks it’s a bit of food and sends a flood of saliva to help digest it!

The good news is it gets better (or it did in my case) and my mouth adapted to wearing it very quickly. Within a week I had no problems, although weirdly when I had the guard replaced a year or so later, it started up again, to a lesser extent. Again, within a few days it settled down.

Hopefully you will find it settles soon, because you only got the dentures very recently, but if not then I would mention it at your follow-up appointment. My hunch is that you won’t need to though. Good luck with your new smile!

how did you get your mouth to adapt so quickly and how many days did it take for the salivation issues to go away

hi as I said I don't have any personal experience with dentures - the sucking on sweets and frequent sips of water tips are things that have been suggested on the forum over the years by people who had a similar problem. I honestly cannot remember how long it took others to adapt but you've only had them for a few days. I would think that it would take at least a week or two to adapt.

We've also got a page with frequently asked questions about dentures here: Dentures FAQ

hi as I said I don't have any personal experience with dentures - the sucking on sweets and frequent sips of water tips are things that have been suggested on the forum over the years by people who had a similar problem. I honestly cannot remember how long it took others to adapt but you've only had them for a few days. I would think that it would take at least a week or two to adapt.

We've also got a page with frequently asked questions about dentures here: Dentures FAQ

Let me add a link to a thread about getting used to dentures in our forum FAQ. It says it can take a week for every decade old you are to get used to it. Anyway, hang in there, hope the salivation stops soon. :clover:

Let me add one statement.
A well fitted denture MAY
be loose
cause you to gag
but should have all pressure/sore spots worked out. You may have to go back 5+ times but each time make sure it is actually sore then it is easy for the dentist to see the sore and know exactly where to adjust.

Back