• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had front 4 teeth removed & partials this past week.

S

shadfield61

Due to an accident - I have had about 1/3 of my teeth removed. I had the front 4 removed about a week ago. It went better than I would have expected; the healing seems to be going well also. I've had 4 abscess teeth in the past 4 months and I'm so happy to have the infection gone. But, I didn't expect getting use to the partial to be as difficult. First, it looks great and I'm so appreciative :) But, I am very aware that I have a big plastic device in my mouth. It hurts a lot when I put it in but not at all when I'm wearing it. It was hurting a lot to remove it too but that seems to have gone down quite a bit. I can't bite anything and just putting pressure on my teeth makes the teeth move - primarily up & down versus side to side. I am embarrassed about how much it bothers me to see myself without the teeth in. Health is so much more important but I have lost a lot of myself with this spine injury and my front teeth seems to have been difficult. I imagine that all of this will pass and I know it could be so much worse. I still have a lot more work to do in my mouth. I was just hoping anyone with experience could throw me some wisdom!! Thanks!

I don't know anything about partials specifically as I have full dentures instead, but I imagine it's just as much of a period of adjustment. And it's going to be difficult and frustrating, but humans can get used to pretty much anything!

About the moving, perhaps get your dentist to adjust them for you? While you're healing, your gums will change shape a lot, so it's probably inevitable. But in six months time or so, your gums will have settled down and they can adjust your partial to a size and shape that fits best.

Hang in there! It sounds like you've gone through a lot recently, but it can only get better. Best wishes :hug4: x

Due to an accident - I have had about 1/3 of my teeth removed. I had the front 4 removed about a week ago. It went better than I would have expected; the healing seems to be going well also. I've had 4 abscess teeth in the past 4 months and I'm so happy to have the infection gone. But, I didn't expect getting use to the partial to be as difficult. First, it looks great and I'm so appreciative :) But, I am very aware that I have a big plastic device in my mouth. It hurts a lot when I put it in but not at all when I'm wearing it. It was hurting a lot to remove it too but that seems to have gone down quite a bit. I can't bite anything and just putting pressure on my teeth makes the teeth move - primarily up & down versus side to side. I am embarrassed about how much it bothers me to see myself without the teeth in. Health is so much more important but I have lost a lot of myself with this spine injury and my front teeth seems to have been difficult. I imagine that all of this will pass and I know it could be so much worse. I still have a lot more work to do in my mouth. I was just hoping anyone with experience could throw me some wisdom!! Thanks!

As far as pain wise, speaking from firsthand experience, it takes time to heal. Once you get past the bulk of healing, things get better. However, you could check w/ your dentist to see if some excess plastic could be shaved off. .

As far as eating w/ them, I can't help you there. I've had so many problems getting them and my lowers(replaces all molars and a front tooth) to just fit that I've given up trying to eat w/ the uppers so I have to kind of gnaw off stuff w/ my side teeth if I even wear the things. 6 days out of 7, I go w/o them.

Back