• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had my first dentist appointment in 23 years!

T

Taucher

Hello all,

I am 40 years old. I went to my first dentist appointment this morning since I was 17 (23 years). After spending days and days panicking and getting worried my lovely new dentist, who seemed surprised that I hadn't seen a dentist for 23 years, told me that just one of my teeth has a tiny cavity that she is going to fill next week - my first filling. She was very thorough and I had all my teeth X-Rayed etc. She was very very nice.

Compared to what I was imagining was going to happen I feel very lucky - my dentist told me I had won the dental lottery with my teeth.

Just goes to show you don't know what is going to happen until you go!

Wow Taucher!!

This is awesome! Great courage to step out and go after so many years and looks like you were met in a very competant ,compassionate way . What a great appointment news only one tiny cavity after a thorough search,. You must take very good care!

:welldone: :perfect:

Hello!

Thanks! I do take good care of my teeth and the filling was fine!

Thanks for your reply.

T

Thank you for sharing. It happens so often that patients expect dramatic news from their dentist and eventually it terms out to be much much less.

Hello all,

I am 40 years old. I went to my first dentist appointment this morning since I was 17 (23 years). After spending days and days panicking and getting worried my lovely new dentist, who seemed surprised that I hadn't seen a dentist for 23 years, told me that just one of my teeth has a tiny cavity that she is going to fill next week - my first filling. She was very thorough and I had all my teeth X-Rayed etc. She was very very nice.

Compared to what I was imagining was going to happen I feel very lucky - my dentist told me I had won the dental lottery with my teeth.

Just goes to show you don't know what is going to happen until you go!

That's so wonderful! And you're right, our imaginations can be so powerful in making us fear the worst.
It sounds like you have found a great dentist and that you have really healthy not-so happy for you!

Thank you for sharing. It happens so often that patients expect dramatic news from their dentist and eventually it terms out to be much much less.
True, but lets not forget sometimes that dramatic expectation is in tune with reality, although i agree that people ( including me ) expect worse than it actually is.

Back