• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had tooth extracted - advice please

F

Flow24

Hi I just had my tooth extracted an hour ago. I was really stressed about it and have put it off for a year! It was really easy and over very quickly! My question now is that I am still very numb in my mouth but I am already feeling pain even although the numbing hasn’t worn off. It’s not severe pain but I’m wondering if this is normal? I thought with the numbing I wouldn’t feel anything! Also I was given two gauzes. I bit down on the first and am now on the second. After a while should I just take this one out and bin it? Also i am flying to Cuba on vacation in 10 days and so i am really really hoping for no complications from this! The tooth was very very close to the sinus. The dentist said it had not punctured the sinus because she did a test where I had to blow through my nose and she say no air bubbles at the extraction site. Is this test full proof? I’m so worried about all of this!! Thanks for any help!

Once the bleeding stop you no longer need the gauze.

Hi I had my tooth extracted yesterday after a year of putting off appointments due to my terror of the dentist. Now that the extraction is done I am worrying about the recovery! So got my upper molar removed about 14 hours ago. At first the site was dark red but now I see a lot of white! Im not sure if this is bone or normal healing. I am terrified of getting dry Socket! Please tell me What you think. I have been very careful with the site! I cant sleep for worrying about it! Thanks so much for any help!

Dry socket is not a very common occurrence, and it's even rarer in the upper jaw. Just follow the usual advice (see https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/healing/ ). If you are still bleeding, you can also bite down on a teabag that has been moistened with cold water and folded in half, or one that has been left to go cold after making tea (important: use ordinary black tea, not infusions or fancy flavoured teas). The tannin in black tea helps stop bleeding.

Happy healing and well done :jump: - and enjoy your trip to Cuba!

I doubt it's dry socket. I have never had it personally, but it's extremely painful and you'd know immediately. I have seen grown men cry with dry socket.

Just be careful and avoid using straws or anything that uses a sucking motion. If you smoke or vape, try to refrain for 48-72 hours. Or if you must smoke/vape, pack gauze into the site beforehand to reduce the risk of the clot displacing.

Back