• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just how safe is impacted wisdom teeth extraction in US?

W

waterford

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, how safe is it in the USA to have ALL 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted, under
IV sedation for a healthy 25 year old male?

What exactly are the statistics for permanent nerve damage with a very experienced oral surgeon?
Less than 5%?? I read some where this procedure is like 90% successful with no complications?
Is this true?

Thanks

Hello Waterford,
Based on alot of postings on this forum impacted wisdom teeth extraction is extremely safe, especially since you are young and healthy..I think you are correct about the statistics of permanent nerve damage..It may even be lower..But there are several dentists on here that may answer your question with more knowledge..I know all three of my kids had theirs removed around your age with NO complications at all..

Hi and welcome to the forum :welcome: I had all four of my wisdom teeth out when I was thirty over 20 years ago and mine were impacted too. I was fine and you will be too.

If it wasn't safe they wouldn't do it, don't worry you will be fine. Things have moved on a lot in the last 20 odd years so it most certainly will be okay. :grouphug:

I hope this helps you a bit.

Hi there!!
I got 3 wisdom teeth removed and one of them was impacted, last Fri morning with IV sedation.
I m 29 and healthy, I got to the Dr s office at 9 am, at 10 am I was already out in the recovery room...
I was awake the whole time and could respond to any commands he had, it took way longer for the local anesthesia to kick in than the actual extractions...
I m going back on Fri to take my stitches off, I only took 2 painkiller pills since Fri, I m so happy with my recovery!
Everyone s organism is different but if you find a good Dr u ll be completely fine!!
All the luck!!

Leslie

risk for nerve damage is very low
If you are a higher risk then your surgeon will discuss it with you.

Back