• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

just made appt. having a panic attack

J

jo06jojo

I just made an appt and can hardly type. was almost hysterical on the phone. posted yesterday about traumatic experience where i stopped breathing due to their failure to numb me. i dont know if i will get through the door.
my husband is going with me but i am so ashamed. why dont i feel any better. i thought that i would. this coming from someone who wouldnt hestitate to get a bikini wax. my priorities are screwed up! :shame:

just found out he's scared too. he has beautiful teeth (in the front) unlike me :redface:

Hi Jo :welcome:

Well done on making your appointment :) That will probably be the worst bit of your new dentist experience. That sounds like a horrible experience and I had a similar one when I had impressions taken, I couldnt breathe and I couldnt stop the dentist, very scary.

I dont think your priorities are screwed up, its not your fault that you are scared, having a bikini wax has probably never made you stop breathing has it?

I do breathing exercises when I feel a panic attack coming, if you do them at the onset they usually work.

I breathe in for a count of 2
Hold it for 2
Breathe out for a count of 2
hold it for 2
And repeat.

Welcome to the boards, im sure you will find a lot people with many of the same fears as you and who can help you through this hopefully :)

OK finally breathing normally again. I am finding that telling other people to take the leap is so much easier than doing it myself. If it werent for this forum, I probably would have never gone. I can tell that my mouth is making me sick.i feel sick all the time despite my healthful lifestyle.

I have to admit: we have a new dentist and I made my kids be guinea pigs. I wanted to see his attitude and professionalism. He seemed okay. I feel bad for the hygenist that has to deal with me first, she was a sweetheart.

Starting to feel like I accomplished something today.
I am definately going to be honest with the dentist and tell him about the trauma that i had.

Ok back on my rollercoaster of emotions. starting to feel anxious again. :o

I know how you are feeling I have had some bad experiences in the past and it makes me anxious too. I just made an appointment last week to go in the first of November,because I need to get some teeth filled and maybe a crown done and I have not been in about three years.

I am going in to just talk to my dentist and let him have look at my teeth since I have not seen him in a while and then I will make appointments to get them fixed as soon as possible.

So,I am wishing you and me a lot of luck. I will be taking my husband with me for moral support.

I know what you're going through, I broke into tears just from speaking to the receptionist at the dental office. All I wanted was their e-mail address so I could e-mail them (the addy posted on their website didn't work). There was no intent to make an appointment, just a simple request for their e-mail addy and stupid me broke into tears and got a lump in my throat. That was about 5 hours ago and I'm still crying. See my post in this section.

I hope your dentist is understanding about people with dental fears & phobias. If I had my way I'd have them come out to the car and sedate me then carry me unconscious in to the office to do the checkup. Hey, I can dream can't I?

I had nitrous oxide (laughing gas) once just for a cleaning but became so panicked that the dentist had to give me oxygen to bring me out of it. He said I was in the 1% of the population who can not take laughing gas.

I find breathing exercises help ... but hey, Valium or that other drug (forget it's name) would work good too. But I vote for being sedated while in the car then carried into the office. :censored:

well, ive heard of something called IV sedation i had it once when i got a tooth pulled and it was quite nice! ;) Three days ago i had a cavity filled, i was naturally very nervous but i just tried to focus on the positives and broght my ipod and it all went fine, and so should your appointment.