• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just made the appt.

M

mll

I am a nervous wreck. I have an implant that needs a crown and have waited 9 months because I'm afraid to go to the dentist. My old dentist stopped taking our insurance so now I need to go open my mouth for someone new.
I know I have cavities and I'm sure some gum issues. I'm due for 2 upper implants this fall as well (already had a sinus lift) so I need to get this crown taken care of. My appt. is October 1. I warned the lady on the phone that I'm a really nervous patient and to prep the doctor.

My fears--I'm going to need a lot of work done. Or, I'll need more implants even though nothing in my mouth is hurting, so I have no evidence to suggest that. It's my anxiety.

Any words of wisdom, please??

Mll

First off good thing for taking care of all this and making the appt. ! Its really nerve wracking to meet a new dentist !! for sure.. you never know who you are going to get.. I had a new implant last year and needed to finish that off along with an emergency treatment and had to go to a new dentist. who turned out to be the best dentist of life for me!! He has helped me through all my fears and anxieties very compassionately and competantly and done great painfree work! I realize I was really lucky ,, know this if you go and don't feel a peace or feel to move on because they don't treat you right , do that until you feel comfortable.. you desreve the best. This is a lot of treatment and you should be comfortable with who you are working with. Also really great job warning the gal on the phone you are anxiuos.. that is the best thing you can do so they have a heads up to really treat your anxiety with this and know how best to help you. I also did this and it made a world of difference on several occassions and appointments.

I know for me , my anxiety makes me catastrophize at times , and I can picture all my teeth coming out etc,, but then my dentist always tells me , "I"m my own worst judge" and my teeth are not that bad.. well... I do feel like they are .. but.. he's not judging me.. so that is a relief.

I hope the new dentist is good and treats you very well so you can be put to ease!! For me the unknown is really scary and the implant process was surely a new one. My new dentist brought me through each step very gracefully and sooo happy with my new implant. :) really worth it! I'll tell you that!

Thank you! How was the process for getting the crown? Mine is already uncovered. Now, I just need the crown...in additional to probably some fillings and regular crowns.

mll

Did you have the impressions taken yet?

No. My implant was uncovered and a healing cap is on. (So a silver nub).

H
I am a nervous wreck. I have an implant that needs a crown and have waited 9 months because I'm afraid to go to the dentist. My old dentist stopped taking our insurance so now I need to go open my mouth for someone new.
I know I have cavities and I'm sure some gum issues. I'm due for 2 upper implants this fall as well (already had a sinus lift) so I need to get this crown taken care of. My appt. is October 1. I warned the lady on the phone that I'm a really nervous patient and to prep the doctor.

My fears--I'm going to need a lot of work done. Or, I'll need more implants even though nothing in my mouth is hurting, so I have no evidence to suggest that. It's my anxiety.

Any words of wisdom, please??
how was the sinus lift? I may need that as well and scared

Back