• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just not convinced...

N

Nightrider

Allow me to fill you in on my dental history regarding wisdom teeth. I saw a dentist from age 21 to 23 who always got on me about my wisdom teeth and their need for removal. I never got it done. Today, at age 30, I began seeing a dentist again(different dentist) who made the same recommendation that I remove my wisdom teeth. Personally, I am not frightened by what may happen. I am only concerned about what will happen in regards to my wisdom teeth.

I don't have my x-ray to post, but allow me to describe it. My top two wisdom teeth never came in, and are sitting below the gum line, and as best I can tell will stay there. Of my bottom two teeth one is completely horizontal, and the other is pointing the right way, but is only partially erupted through the gum. None of these teeth are bothering me in any way what so ever. There is no pain, no discomfort, no pressure, headaches, etc. Bottom line is at least 3 are impacted, and the 4th never came completely through.

My dentist still says they must be removed anyways, and I am not one to just jump into a surgery that I am not convinced I need. I have done some internet research and discovered that its best to remove them in your late teens or early 20s because they are easier to remove. Otherwise you risk nerve damage during the extraction. Personally I think its better for me to wait for a problem to develop before I do anything about my wisdom teeth. Are there any dentists or someone else equally educated on the nuances of wisdom teeth who think I am all wrong on this? Just want to hear some other opinions. Thanks!

I have done some internet research and discovered that its best to remove them in your late teens or early 20s because they are easier to remove. Otherwise you risk nerve damage during the extraction.

This is not true. The optimal age for a wisdom tooth extraction is up to 27 (or younger) and the reason is not really nerve damage but the elasticity of the bone.

Without an X-ray it would unresponsible to give any advise.
In the end, you are the boss of your teeth. If the dentist have explained you what are the considerations, and you still don't want to extract, it is perfectly legitimate.

Hi Nightrider, I pretty much feel the same way you do. I only have my bottom 2 wizzies and they want me to have them out. They are mostly above the gum but they are very crowded. My dentist keeps telling me I'm going to get an infection eventually and because they are touching the teeth in front of them they are going to cause decay on them as well. I want to do the right thing but is it the right thing?

Hi Nightrider, I pretty much feel the same way you do. I only have my bottom 2 wizzies and they want me to have them out. They are mostly above the gum but they are very crowded. My dentist keeps telling me I'm going to get an infection eventually and because they are touching the teeth in front of them they are going to cause decay on them as well. I want to do the right thing but is it the right thing?

it is difficult to decide. It is always an option getting a second opinion.

Thank you, Dr. Daniel... I have an appt with the oral surgeon nov 8th ... I will see what his opinion is.

This is not true. The optimal age for a wisdom tooth extraction is up to 27 (or younger) and the reason is not really nerve damage but the elasticity of the bone.

Without an X-ray it would unresponsible to give any advise.
In the end, you are the boss of your teeth. If the dentist have explained you what are the considerations, and you still don't want to extract, it is perfectly legitimate.

I appreciate your two cents on the matter. I don't want to seem hostile towards my dentists recommendations, because if that were the case I would have never gone to see him. I knew my wisdom teeth may be something they would want me to remove, and obviously I was right on that point. I guess part of my opposition to the idea is that it seems to me that here in the U.S. nearly every young adult, or adult for that matter, who sits in a dentists chair is told to have their wisdom teeth removed. For me that discounts the recommendation because I feel its an over prescribed procedure, and I was curious if you felt the same way about this practice in the U.S. I have been reading that in other countries the extraction of asymptomatic wisdom teeth is becoming a lot less common, and if that were the case here and it was still recommended that I remove them I would take the recommendation more seriously. I've got another appointment with my dentist in a couple weeks and I'm sure they will ask me if I've spoken to the oral surgeon they referred me too. In my first appointment I didn't want to seem like I didn't want their advice on this matter, but in this second one I may lay out how I feel about it and see what their thoughts are. In the end I just want to do whats best for my future health, but I have to be sure its the right thing to do.

I guess part of my opposition to the idea is that it seems to me that here in the U.S. nearly every young adult, or adult for that matter, who sits in a dentists chair is told to have their wisdom teeth removed.

I have never worked in the states, but I think you have a grain of truth there.

Back