• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just Novicane and Laughing Gas! FOUR IMPACTED WISDOM TEETH

R

rjanxoxo

Okay so I am 16 years old and i have four impacted wisdom teeth. My mother doesn't want to pay for general anesthesia or iv sedation (whatever one you call it). Our insurance doesn't cover it, i think its like 600 dollars or something to be sedated. I EVEN OFFERED TO PAY but my mom told me to suck it up. There is no negotiating so now i have to deal with it. I have four impacted wisdom teeth, all diagonally coming in messing up my teeth, i saw my X-ray and it looks like they are really gonna have to dig for them. I don't have a huge fear of the dentist but my anxiety gets bad. I'm terrible at breathing through my nose and i feel out of breath when i can't breathe successfully. I know they were probably have to cut the tooth up in sections to get it out and i don't want to hear that or feel the blood pooling in my mouth or see it coming out of my mouth. And this may sound stupid but i absolutely HATE the feeling of being numb, i get anxiety attacks over that because i feel like i'm having a stroke or something because my face is numb! If i was knocked out i wouldn't even notice that feeling because i would be drugged. When you are asleep you don't remember the feeling of how they will have to open my mouth insanely wide to get the top ones out. UGHHH. From the forums i've been reading everyone seems to get knocked out, and while i know its totally possible and safe to just get gassed i don't want to remember the feeling, or focus on my breathing, or see or hear anything. So what i would love to know is anybody in a similar situation. Just having novicane and laughing gas when all the teeth are impacted and won't be simply pulled or anything. I am so scared and please don't sugar coat anything i just want to know what to expect. And what it feels to be gassed, and will it ease my anxiety. Thanks:shame:

I'm not sure if you've had your surgery yet, or when you have it scheduled for, but I thought I'd weigh in. I had my wisdom teeth out a week and a half ago, and I was awake for the procedure. I had two impacted teeth and two that were pretty easy extractions. I just wrote a disgustingly long post about the experience, which is way too long to copy and paste here, but if you want to read it, here's the link:

Admittedly, I wanted to be awake for my removal, so you do have to take my experience with a grain of salt.

The good news is that you're young! Sixteen is an ideal age to get these extractions done because the roots haven't fully formed on the teeth yet and your bone hasn't completely hardened. So that should actually make the extractions easier! They might have to drill for them, but it shouldn't be too bad!

The thing about your situation though that I don't like is that you don't have an option. You're the one who's getting your teeth out, and you should be able to get it done in the way that is most comfortable to you! I faced a similar situation, but in reverse. My mom was pretty much begging me to get knocked out for my procedure because it freaked her out! Ultimately, that option wasn't right for me, so I didn't choose it (but not before lots of drama!)

If I were you, I wouldn't have it done unless you feel comfortable with it, even if that means waiting and paying for it yourself later on. I don't know how much power you have to do that, being 16 years old, but that's my two cents.

thank you so much! I had the extraction two weeks ago haha but this is very useful info for anyone else :)

Back