• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apicoectomy recovery

P

Pearly77

Hey all! Things seem to be slowly getting better after the apico. In doing internet research, though, I am super surprised at all the websites that say healing takes place in 2-3 days. I’m on day 11 and things are just now seeming to settle.

I guess my question is, mostly out of curiosity, how soon does one know if an apico has failed? What are the signs?

Teeth. You crazy, complicated, necessary things, you.

From experience, mine wasn’t declared failed until about about six months later. The endodontist said the xrays looked good and the apico area itself had healed, but the tooth still hurt when pressure was applied and I had pain alongside my nose, almost like sinus pain. I actually went to the ENT, and he said the nerve was aggravated by infection. The endodontist gave me a round of clindamycin which took away the pain when pressure was applied to the tooth.
The endo wanted to wait longer to see if it gradually got better. The pain alongside my nose continued and the surgeon eventually said the tooth had to come out. The endo offered to go back in and redo the apico, but I didn’t want to go through that again if there was a chance it would fail again.
Yeah, though, the whole 3 days of healing was crap. I was also told that the front tooth would be easier and it was weeks before the area felt even remotely normal.

Thank you so much for sharing! Coming up on two weeks and while it is slowly getting better, at least it is getting better.
I think my biggest concern is the pressure sensitivity when I press on it. I had hoped that would have gone away by now. But it’s weird — it’s not pressure sensitive all the time. Only sometimes. This tooth is giving me so much anxiety!

So I’m not in freak out timeframe yet? ;)

So I’m not in freak out timeframe yet? ;)

My endodontist said that as long as there was improvement, even small, it was a good sign. My tooth never stopped being pressure sensitive until I had the antibiotics. Then I never stopped having the pain along my nose. I would say if you are having improvement, you shouldn’t worry yet.

Hey all! Things seem to be slowly getting better after the apico. In doing internet research, though, I am super surprised at all the websites that say healing takes place in 2-3 days.

Seriously? I'm not so much surprised as flabbergasted!

Yes! 2-3 days!! I’m sitting here 12 days out going uh...

AND that recovery is usually easier than a root canal...

Well, they say laughter is the best medicine, so they might have helped a wee bit :)

Ha!! Thanks, Gordon. You’re pretty awesome at easing a worried mind.

Seriously? I'm not so much surprised as flabbergasted!
Yes! I read all that before mine as well. It was one of the reasons I decided to have the apico...because multiple dental websites said around 3 days healing and that the pain was less than a root canal.

Well, pfffft. :p

Hi, just wanted to agree with you, the optimistic recovery times that you read on the internet can be SO discouraging. It's great that people on this forum can provide more realistic expectations, because we all heal at our own pace. Healing is hard enough, we don't need to the burden of paranoia too!

Back