• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years...feeling so down.

W

Wentworthy

Hi, everyone. I could use some support.

Before today, I hadn't been to a dentist in 10 years (I am a 28 year old female). Honestly, it's because of a string of lousy jobs over the last decade that haven't offered health insurance. I have lots of fillings in my mouth from childhood and, in the past three years, not going to the dentist finally caught up with me. One of my teeth completely crumpled in my mouth (there is no tooth left, only the root) and another tooth fractured quite badly (it is just a giant crater with sides that always gets infected). I also know I have even more cavities that need to be filled.

I was so terrified to make the appointment, out of shame for not having visited a dentist in so long. I didn't want to be judged, but I worked up the courage and made the appointment (I got married last year and am now on my spouse's dental insurance).

I went today, totally nervous, but people told me it would be okay, that my teeth probably aren't nearly as bad as I imagine them to be.

Everyone at the office was so nice. I had pictures and xrays and a general assessment. Things were going so well. I thought, hey, maybe my teeth aren't as bad as I thought.

Then, the hygienist took a look at my xrays. My two bottom front teeth have considerable bone loss and pockets behind them. I was referred to a periodontist (I go in three weeks).

I almost started crying right there in the chair.

Funny, I thought my biggest concern would be the one tooth I lost and the other one that is broken. I was totally shocked and taken off guard when she told me about the bone loss in the two bottom front teeth.

The dentist (very nice guy) told me I am only 28 and he doesn't want to see me losing my teeth already. Now they won't work on my teeth at the dentist office until I see the periodontist.

I feel so depressed and anxious. I already suffer from bad anxiety and now I'm going to obssess over my two front bottom teeth falling out (and I am expecting the nightmares to start soon. I'll probably be having bad dreams from now on.)

I honestly had no idea. The teeth move a little, yes, but not much. I noticed that they wiggled a little a couple of years ago, but since it was such a small movement, I didn't think it was cause for concern.

I'm really beating myself up over here. I quit smoking two years ago and have really cracked down on my brushing, but I still really managed to mess my teeth up. I'm not a big floss: I admit that, but I have been terrified of flossing ever since I attempted to floss next to a fractured tooth a couple of years back and a chunk of it fell out.

I have no further details of the bone loss, just that it is there and that I have pockets behind the front two bottom teeth.

It's making me sick to my stomach.

I could really use some support. I hate being such a wimp about it, but I'm just so afraid and sad about it.

Re: Just went to the dentist for the first time in 10 years...feeling so down.

Hi there :)
I just joined this forum today, and I completely understand how you're feeling. I am 33 and didn't go to the dentist for ten years either. I had pain and decay, so at 28 I started to SLOWLY work on fixing everything. Due to not kind dentists and my immense fear, I would stop going to appointments :( Many of my problems have gotten worse from too much time passing, and I may need teeth pulled. I have an appointment Thursday at a new clinic so I can finally get this work over with, but I have spent the day in tears over shame, guilt and fear.
You are definitely not alone. I am sorry the appointment didn't go as well as you would have liked, but try not to be too discouraged. You are taking the steps to correct things before they get worse, and it sounds like you have a good dentist. I just keep reminding myself how much better I am going to feel once I have the work completed, and how great my teeth will look and feel.

You've got this! You can get through it..just remember the lite at the end of the tunnel :)
I look foward to your update..best of luck!!!:cheer::cheer:

WentWorthy,

I can totally sympathise it took me 19 years to finally get to the dentist. When I needed to go over wisdom teeth there were no NHS dentists available and my fear just increased over the years.

Please don't be so harsh on yourself. Please applaud your efforts - a big pat on the back for going and sitting through everything they threw at you.

I hope you can think of this next appointment as a necessary stepping stone to sort out the main concern. I'm sure with the right help you can get those two front teeth sorted and then you are left with less worry to slowly sort out the others.

Try being more self-compassionate. I know it hardest of all to be kind to ourselves. It wasn't your fault that you couldn't afford dental visits - it was circumstances beyond your control.

Take care :clover:

Thanks you two. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Hope things are going okay Wentworthy!
:grouphug::grouphug:

Back