• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Kingston, Ontario or anywhere within driving distance

J

Justknockmeout!

Let me explain the situation. I am extremely phobic about going to the dentist. In fact I'm actually phobic having ANY procedures done while I am awake but, the dentist creates a ridiculous level of panic attacks. In fact I get panic attacks just calling a dentist office on the phone. I will frequently cancel appointments because I am up all night the night before with all nighter panic attacks that just leave me looking for some relief.

I have been to one sleep dentistry clinic. I made a pre appointment to explain my fear. I thought we were good to go. I HATE the fact that only versed is used because it does not knock me out and I do not want to be awake. I've had versed when needing a colonoscopy before. I DO remember most of the procedure and they had to up the dose they were giving me. I wasn't even really afraid of the colonoscopy and it only hurt a bit when they had to go through some adhesions I had. But because I was having a panic attack it didn't quite work with the lower dosage. I remember the poor physician saying "give her some more" twice during this procedure. So don't tell me versed makes it so you don't "remember" Maybe I don't remember all of it but, enough that I can still to this day explain the screen images I saw, the conversation in the room, the table ...to me that's not enough. You need to get me in the twilight zone or I'm going to be having a panic attack. Something I have grown to fear even more than any pain.

Heck being knocked out and having a lot done at once appeals to me because it avoids the panic attacks. I know full well I will have more pain after at home than if I had not been knocked out and had so much done at once. I don't care! At home I am in control, I can take pain meds, I dont' have myself locked down in a chair with others in control of whether or not I am going to be in pain. That feeling of being held down while others operate on me while I'm fully awake is torture to me and I'd rather have the pain afterwards knowing the work is over, the pain will improve and I can take pain meds AT HOME without others being in control of my body that way. I just cannot stand it. To top it off because my teeth are bad I KNOW it's going to hurt and others are in control of when, how and how much. No, no and no. In fact I'm panicking just writing this.

So the "sleep" dental clinic gives me my first appointment and they decide they will give me benedryl to take before the appointment. This did nothing to me. Normally, it would put me to sleep but, my levels of adrenalin are so high that taking this before a dental appointment made me a tiny bit drowsy for about five minutes. After that I was right back to reeved up panic attack mode. So I told them that when I arrived and they gave me five milligrams of valium. Helped a little bit for about twenty minutes and after that, more panic attacks. Mind, I was still having a mild panic attack ON the five milligrams of vallium just not as bad as without it.

So I go in and they give me gas and novacaine for this appointment. They gave me quite a lot of gas and even though I was still panicking it did help. This was just a short appointment with the real work still to be done next appointment. Next appointment I go in. I took a five milligram vallium on the way there and another when I arrived. A little better than the first time but, still low level panic. this is before I go sit in the chair.

I get in there and they give me the novacaine and gas. There is a nurse there and about five minutes into my work I notice I am only getting air and no gas so I ask about this and she says to me "Oh you only need a little to take the edge off" I nearly came up out of the chair! What was my preliminary appointment about and my long talk about how severely I panic for if this is woman is going to tell me something like this at my second appointment. I felt betrayed, not listened to, scared to death, panicky and felt I'd wasted my time coming in there to stress how severely I get panicked. We had discussed being put to sleep the first interview but, the dentist explained he wanted to try these other methods first. I was worried about this as I would rather be knocked out but decided to try and trust him. He said I could have as much gas as I wanted and that it could make me nauseous but, just to tell him if that was happening and they would address it. Well five minutes of gas and then AIR is not "as much as I want" and she just did it and did not inform me at all. So I went into full blown panic attack five minutes into a procedure. I let them finish and that was the last time I have been to any dentist. After all, if I couldnt' trust the "sleep dentistry" clinic who I went out of my way to have a prelim appointment with just to discuss all this then I don't feel too trustful going again now. it was hard enough to screw up my courage to go that time. I had traveled an hour just to attend this clinic.

I am telling you that I wish I could just be knocked out cold. Hence the name. I don't want to converse with you, I dont' want to know I'm even there. At my age if these horrible panic attacks were ever going to get better around this issue they would have by now. Believe me I have tried. I have conquered panic in other situations but, not this one.

My teeth and gums are very bad now with some broken teeth, gum disease and I KNOW I have to give this another go but, I don't know where to start. I thought I had done everything right last time. This situation has happened to me over and over. I say how horrified I am, that I can't even call them up without getting panic attacks, losing sleep, throwing up...they SAY they understand and are going to help me and sometimes they do and sometimes I get nurse Ratchet who tells me "oh you only need a little to take the edge off" NO I don't, I need to be in a coma thankyouverymuch!

I can see this from the outside too and laugh at it but, it is certainly not funny when I am going through it. It's so bad I have let my teeth get into a mess now due to avoiding taking proper care of them.

Where did this come from? When I was little my mother worked as a nurse in our small town. She knew and trusted the dentist she picked for us and would drop us off for appointments. The problem was this dentist later convicted of child abuse was a sadist and abused us. He would work on us without proper pain meds just for starters and this is to say nothing of the other things he did and got away with for decades.

It is embarrassing to have to relay that information to a dentist and then to end up having the nurse stop giving you the relief you need. I was stretched to my limits even being awake at all.

So who on earth in Ontario anywhere is really, really good with people like me? I will do my part and help out by facing up when I need to and I know I can IF I am listened to and can feel like I trust my dentist AND HIS NURSING ASSISTANT to know what I'm going through at least to try to.

This has all got so bad I wish I could just make an appointment to go into hospital and have all my teeth out, get dentures and never have to deal with this again in my life.

Who in Ontario deals with people who have severe panic disorder mostly triggered by dentists, their procedures, their offices, the chairs anything and everything related to this. I would call what I have more a form of PTSD related to past experiences as a child rather than just dental phobia. In fact I was diagnosed with complex PTSD years ago. Most of which I have dealt with amazingly well through therapy but, this one thing still causes me major issues.

Is anyone here as bad as me and if so who do you go to? I have come to the conclusion that there are some people for whom being knocked out is a better option than anything else. Some have written here they dont' want to be put to sleep. I DO! Pick me! I'm less afraid of that than being awake in this circumstance. I've had a lot of pain in my life physical and otherwise and I am not a wimp. I have made it through a lot of things but, this just will not subside no matter what. Yes, I have tried CBT, yes I have tried relaxation exercises, breathing control, bio feedback, meditation, soft music, *that one just does nothing for a full blown panic attack though it's better than death metal I suppose* ...you name it and those methods work in lots of other situations. Just not this so far.

I'll go anywhere within three hours driving distance and have family in Toronto so if knocked out or hospitalized there I have somewhere to stay before coming back on the train here. I'll go anywhere in Ontario. Who helps those with panic disorder this bad in Ontario?:confused:

HI
I am just like you almost. The first appt I had with my current dentist in Dec took me 2 1/2 hours... for most people with just a quick check and getting nothing done it takes 45 or so. He says I am the most extreme patient he has ever seen. He did a root canal on me and I made it thru ok. I thought he has lost his mind when he told me I needed it. He called me at work. I cried to him and he speaks with me and gives me the courage to come in. He calls me the morning of the appt and has given me his personal cell phone and email address. I emailed him today all freaked out. He emailed me back. He never has an issue with my fear like everyone else done. Let me tell you the compassion this man has is unlike any other I have ever been to. It really helps because he gets how you feel and is doing everything possible to help you thru it. He builds the trust and that helps. I have only being going since Oct but ask him every time, if I cant do this you promised me you will stop right. Every time, he says I promise I will stop and we can do it another day. He is amazing. I wish all dentists were this good. He is in London Ont and his same is Dr. Aiello. He is the very very best in my opinion. I havent been to a dentist in since I was 17 and I am now 46. He gives me pills and gas just like yours did. Lots to make you nice and happy in the chair, or as happy as you can get but his compassion is what puts me more at ease. He builds trust and really wants you to come back and get the help you need. I have never met anyone like him. He even promised me he would not let anyone else ever touch my teeth except him not even to clean them. I hope that helps.

Did you ever end up finding a suitable dentist?