• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Kissing Frogs Until You Find a Prince of a Dentist

P

Persephone

I went on my own, with no referral, to see an endodontist for a consultation. No work needs to be done...yet...but I could potentially need a lot of endo work in the future.
Endodontist was nice enough, seemed knowledgeable and thorough, has a good reputation.

He works out of a dental office and he said that I basically should switch to the dentist in his office because if I need endo work done, it's not a good idea to be going back and forth between dental offices. (It makes dentists in both offices mad.)

The dentist in his office gave a bad first impression. I was reading a magazine in the waiting room and the dentist was venting loudly about another patient to the assistant at the front desk. I'm not sure if I want to switch.

Problems are:
Insurance won't pay while you try out a whole bunch of dentists to see who you like.
You make like a dentist's personality, but not their work.
What if the dentist does great work, but you can't stand his personality.
You get reviews online and recommendations from friends and coworkers, but everyone's experience is different. I may love a dentist and you may think he's a jerk.

My biggest problem is:
I do not entirely trust the dentist.

I often question the dentist's recommendations. (because after years of great check ups, I'm getting big, costly recommendations with every visit.)

This is closely tied to:
The things that the dentist recommends that I do cost a lot of money $$$.
All of my dental problems seem to be happening at once.
When I talk to my husband and mom about what the dentist said (like that I had to have all of my 8 amalgam fillings replaced), they say it's a money-making scam, don't fix it, unless there's a problem, and it's all in my head.
So, of course, when we're struggling to pay bills, my husband is thinking about how much the dental work will cost.

The endo did say that I should have had my amalgam fillings replaced years ago because they are pretty deep.

So, now I feel like I'm being too harsh with my original dentist. I did get the 2 amalgams replaced last December and 2 replaced in July (but maybe I should have gotten them done even sooner.) Hindsight is 20/20.

I hope that my original dentist is not mad that I went for a second opinion.

Hi DO NOT move to a dentist that you are not comfortable with. It sounds like someone somewhere is trying to make a pretty penny from you.

If you are comfortable with your first dentist then stay with them, they shouldn't be mad with you everyone is free to get as many second, third opinions as they wish. It is your mouth and your money to do with as you wish.

I would think it would be impossible that 8 fillings need replacing all at once. I am with your mum and husband on the wait and see position. Did any of the dentists take x rays ? :butterfly:

Xrays were taken by both dentists.
I've had 6 amalgams replaced already.
Only 2 left to be replaced.
I regret waiting so long to replace them (because of my trust issues and I didn't think anything was wrong.)

Endodontist said fillings were very deep (right on the nerve) and that they should have been replaced a long time ago.
I recently gave in and got them replaced in December and July and apparently there was A LOT of decay underneath the fillings. :shame:

Endotontist told me that I'll get 10 years maximum out of the resin fillings. i wanted longer lasting amalgams, but he said that not many dentists put those in because they don't like using the amalgam (toxic).

So, past sins from my candy-eating childhood and big amalgam fillings have come to haunt me in my adult life.

Any way to extend the life of resin fillings?

I don't know how to extend resin fillings. I would think if you keep your teeth and gums healthy and brush and clean then that is about all you can do as well as attending regular dental appointments.

I have the amalgam fillings we still get them here in the UK :butterfly:

For some of my larger fillings (Molars at the back), if they ever need replacing, my dentist has suggested a Composite Inlay type as these are more durable than a regular Composite resin type, they do cost more but I trust my dentists advice as he's great.

i agree with Carole - Don't change dentists if you don't feel comfortable with him.

Back