• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Know I’m overreacting but can’t help it

B

britworrier

This is my first post on dental fear central despite looking at the forum from afar at least once a week!
The last time I visited the dentist a year ago, I only had 3 fillings which was relatively non traumatic, though I did need to have more numbing injections than anticipated by the dentist and longer lasting pain/ sensitivity than expected.
I make this post because, although I know my teeth are probably fine, I can’t help worrying and obsessing over them. Everyday I look at my front bottom teeth which are slightly crooked and look at if they are receding or bleeding. I take multiple pictures to see if they look any different from the last time I looked at them. I search different symptoms for what I could be seeing in my teeth or gums, such as gum disease (which I’m convinced I have).
Does anyone else feel like this? It feels like hypochondria, but for teeth, and when I try to explain it to my boyfriend all he says is that my teeth are fine or to go to the dentist. When I think about my teeth and what could be wrong with them for too long, my heart speeds up and I feel sick like a fight or flight reaction :(
Any advice or own experiences would be greatly appreciated, especially if you feel the same way or have overcome such a fear.

Welcome. You’re at the right place.

What is the situation with your current dentist?

Welcome. You’re at the right place.

What is the situation with your current dentist?

I haven’t been since last year, after the 3 fillings. I am in the process of making a new appointment since coming back from uni for the summer, which I have been delaying a bit. I’m not so much as scared of the dentist, but of what treatment will be recommended and the pain that might accompany it.
I had not been to the dentist for maybe 6 years prior, so 3 fillings was expected.

Hi there,

getting a bit obsessive about teeth, especially if you haven't been for a while sounds normal to me and something a lot of people go through. I think the only way to get past that is to get a checkup as only a dentist can tell you whether everything is fine. It might also be a good idea to attend more regularly after that so that you get a routine and have the security that nothing bad can happen.
I use to worry about every little small thing in my mouth so before I go to see my dentist I always make a list of every small detail I would like to have checked.

All the best wishes

Hi britworrier,

The distress you are experiencing is caused but what I call the “uncertainty factor”. You can hear more about it in my video about it:
I believe that what will eventually help you lessen the concerns and doubts is getting relevant information about your situation. The best way to have relevant information is by getting it from an dental health provider, may it be a dentist or a dental hygienist. Can you see yourself going back for a check up at your dentist?

Back