• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

LA reaction (stiff jaw)

G

Former Member
I had a local anaesthetic and immediately felt my jaw go stiff. I could only just open my mouth for the treatment. Later as the anaesthetic wore off my jaw joint was painful and I could barely open my mouth for two days. The pain gradually went away over the next three weeks.

So what on earth was that all about?

Actually, an almost identical question appeared on usenet a while back, so I'll just copy and paste (answer was by Gordon, I'm sure he won't mind :)):

---------------------------------------------------------------------
>Can anyone help? I had a local anaesthetic at the dentist on Friday morning. The injection hurt a lot more than it had in the past and almost immediately my jaw joint felt stiff so that opening my mouth felt odd."

"Most likely the dentist managed to deposit some of the injected solution under the periosteum, it's a thin membrane covering bone. It tends to tear the membrane a little and produces some swelling and pain. Alternatively, if you felt a little electric shock at the time then the solution was a bit too close to the nerve, similar result.

> Is this a usual side effect or an unusual complication? Is it something that can always happen or did he not do the injection well? And please tell me what I should do now? Should I rest the jaw or move it a lot? Which will be best in the long run?

"It's a relatively uncommon consequence of getting a local anaesthetic injection. It can happen at any time to any dentist, it's absolutely nothing to worry about unduly and it will get better in time.

Treat the joint sympathetically, move it about gently and apply an ice pack to the area outside the joint. Try to take lady like small bites of food, and nibble instead of gulping. (Of course, I'm sure you always eat in a ladylike fashion anyway!).

Ibuprofen will help a lot if you can take it, Paracetamol will do instead if you can't.

HTH

--
Gordon
--------------------------------------------------------------

Don't really know if there's anything to add to that... it sounds pretty similar to me :confused:

Back