• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lack of faith and a potential crown...

D

deano85

Hi guys.
Thought id start a new thread rather than add it as its a different tooth.
Wonder if im losing faith in my dentist, and maybe unfairly.
A while back i had alfull toothache that lasted nearly 2 weeks(still feel it now in the mornings)
After a good look was told nothing was wrong and his suggestion was that if it continues to be a problem, he could take it out... A tooth that was fine.. Ok, i was happy with that, as i was told tooth was fine. At that appointment he noticed i had a chip on the enamel of my back tooth, so scheduled a filling.
2 weeks later it was sorted. 10 days later (today) it came out... Im not too fussed as i spent 2 years like it before during covid with no pain... But its stuck in my mind that he couldnt solve my toothache and a filling fell out.
To be fair, at the time, he mentioned that if the filling comes out it may need a crown... So maybe he kind of knew..?
Which brings me to my next point... A crown.. This sounds horrific... And its the injections that i fear most... On my last proper filling i had 2 injections, 1 less than they wanted as i found them more painful than the filling itself

Looking for crown reassurance

Deano,

Sorry to hear your filling came out after all of that. I know getting new procedures are anxiety producing so much of time,especially dental. Coming from someone who has a whole lot of crowns in her mouth. If you have a good dentist that is kind and patient and takes their time with the injections , you can virtually feel almost nothing, and its mostly time taking as crowns are a few different appts unless you get one of those new cerec ones they do in a few hours, never had one of those before. Ask alot of questions and get reassurance. and if you don't feel confident in your dentist, doesn't hurt to go for a second opinion for reassurance. I've done that a few times, and ended up going back to my dentist as they reconfirm . He doesn'st have to know you go for 2nd opinion . unless you want to share that , but sometimes it does put your mind to ease. I only say this part because it seems your trust is veering a little. but that could be the anxiety of the whole thing too. Either way. Crowns are time but well worth it, they are really like your own teeth and function really well! Sorry your shots hurt last time. hope they can go slower or find a way to make them not hurt for you! Did they give you topical before?

Thanks for the reply
Getting a second opinion is a great idea, but feels almost impossible... Just being registered with an NHS dentist here is a novelty, finding a second would be a miracle... And going private at the moment would be well above budget.

I currently sitting here wondering if its worth phoning, but i honestly can see me doing it it which is a huge step backwards again.
I don't know if its because it feels like starting again knowing i have work to do with the threat of a crown and the previous toothache still not fully settled down, or wether its just a sudden lack of trust...
Cheers

Back