• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

    We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

    Register now to access many more features and forums!

LANAP vs front teeth removal

C

cherylc1462

Junior member
Joined
Jul 7, 2018
Messages
1
Looking for some advice. I have periodontal disease that is pretty bad in three of my front teeth (pockets of 10+ and mobility of 2). Periodontist wants to perform LANAP, splint loose teeth, night guard etc but the cost is over $8k and we have no dental insurance.
I’ve gone for three opinions and all have told me that there is “no guarantee” that I’m not going to lose the front teeth. The last periodontist said my other option is to have the front teeth removed and have a bridge (or maybe he said Partial)for the front 3 teeth as I’m not candidate for implants due to bone loss.
I’m am petrified of the dentist (novacaine and needles!) and am torn with what to do because I’m afraid of spending so much money and ultimately losing the teeth.
Any feedback/suggestions appreciated!
 
Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
2,621
Hi Cheryl,

sorry to read about the decisions you are facing right now, it sounds like a really hard one. Sadly I can't give you any advice about your situation, but at least wanted to let you know that your post got read. Hope you get a reply to this soon.

All the best wishes.
 
Judythecat

Judythecat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2018
Messages
604
Hi Cheryl,

Sorry you are in such a difficult position. I have no experience of this, so can’t offer advice, but two things spring to mind. One, my dentist always says there are no guarantees while working with living tissue, so try not to see it as too much of a negative that you have been told that. And second, when I had to decide between my own dentist doing a root canal, or referral to a very expensive specialist, the must useful question I asked was “if this was your tooth, what would you do?”. (She said she would go to the specialist, so I did.)

I hope you make the best decision you can in tough circumstances.
 
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 26, 2017
Messages
2,874
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Cheryl,

I'm also sorry to hear of the decision you are facing. You mentioned you went to three consults. Is there one you felt more comfortable with? That you can trust their opinion and how they present it more? and also that if one made you feel comfortable they may also make you feel more at peace in the chair and knowing they would be gentle in any treatment and anesthetic. I know for me chairside manner is a major determining factor.as for most all of us.. so any you seemed to click with more, maybe you could get some follow up questions for that one and help you a little more to get a peace?

I know I had a huge decision 2 weeks ago with my new dentist to try another root canal then apico with a specialist then have a pretty compromised crown to get me buy or.. go for it, extraction and bonegraft with implant which will last me longer and be a much more solid option . Well. I feel a real peace that my new dentist is being very honest and forthright in his helping me with information to make this decision and I completely feel he has my best interest at heart so that factor really helped me in my decision.

Its a hard one... so I wish you much peace and all the clarifying information you need!! BESt of luck ..its a huge decision not only for your teeth but your finances.
 
S

Slydell1

Junior member
Joined
Apr 27, 2019
Messages
4
Location
Louisiana
Looking for some advice. I have periodontal disease that is pretty bad in three of my front teeth (pockets of 10+ and mobility of 2). Periodontist wants to perform LANAP, splint loose teeth, night guard etc but the cost is over $8k and we have no dental insurance.
I’ve gone for three opinions and all have told me that there is “no guarantee” that I’m not going to lose the front teeth. The last periodontist said my other option is to have the front teeth removed and have a bridge (or maybe he said Partial)for the front 3 teeth as I’m not candidate for implants due to bone loss.
I’m am petrified of the dentist (novacaine and needles!) and am torn with what to do because I’m afraid of spending so much money and ultimately losing the teeth.
Any feedback/suggestions appreciated!
I am so glad I found this post! I am in the exact same situation pretty much down to the detail. I know I need to do somthing, but I’m not sure how I should use what little money I have to get the most effective treatment and if I lose those front teeth, replace them with somthing decent. I’ll be following. I’ve had 4 consultations at this point. I’m still confused on what to do, but I’ll gladly share the information I’ve acquired. Best of luck!
 
Top