• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Large black spot on molar

R

Rls15

Hello

Around three weeks ago I had a check up and was told no treatment required, but for a trip to the hygenist for a good clean as I have gum disease (not sure of the severity of the same, I assume hygenist will talk me through that). A couple of days ago I noticed a black spot on my tooth, not small, and I'm not sure how long it's been there. I can't feel a cavity but I'm sure that doesn't mean there's not one there. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm looking at here? The tooth already has a large filling so I'm worried about extraction and hoping it can be capped instead. Part of me is hoping it's a stain but it's jet black, quite large and no amount of brushing or flossing is reducing the black. It's also inbetween two teeth so I can't get a proper look at it, and I'm not even 100% sure which tooth it is! :)

I'm not scared of treatment, although don't like the idea of another extraction as that would be two this year. I'm just scared of the diagnosis! Strange, I know. I do have an appointment for my dentist to have a look, I'm just wondering in the meantime if anyone has a vague idea.

Many thanks x

Hello!

Hmm, that is strange. I have a big black spot between two teeth as well. When I went to the dentist this past Spring, she told me to keep an eye on it. The molar it's on started throbbing last weekend, and now I have to get it extracted since it got worse. So, it could possibly be a cavity that hasn't started bothering you yet.

Hopefully not, though!

Hello!

Hmm, that is strange. I have a big black spot between two teeth as well. When I went to the dentist this past Spring, she told me to keep an eye on it. The molar it's on started throbbing last weekend, and now I have to get it extracted since it got worse. So, it could possibly be a cavity that hasn't started bothering you yet.

Hopefully not, though!

Ahhh thank you for replying! Sorry to hear you need an extraction :(

Went to my dentist today, and the black spot is... my filling! I feel like an idiot ha ha

If it makes you feel better I get at least two or three people every year who make the exact same mistake! It's always a funny moment when I tell them. I'm glad that is all it was for you!

If it makes you feel better I get at least two or three people every year who make the exact same mistake! It's always a funny moment when I tell them. I'm glad that is all it was for you!

Ha ha it really does make me feel better, thank you! :-D

I like to think it's a compliment that the filling is so well done I've never noticed it before!!!

Back