• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Large bone shard or something else...

S

Stoner0604

First of all, sorry for even making this post but I need to alleviate my worries and my dentist is on holiday for a week.

Last Friday I went and had my furthest-back right molar out (number 31?) because I was unknowingly suffering with root canal for a fortnight, just thinking it was generic toothache.

Last night what I thought was a bone shard started poking through my gum near the extraction site. I washed my hands and went in for a feel (I know...). Instead of being loose like I was told it should be, it feels as though it's still connected to something. I've had an attempt at trying to wriggle it a little but all i get is pain further inside my gum.

At this point I need to point out that I have an extremely impacted wisdom tooth right next to the extracted tooth. Like, actually fully-sideways... Anyway, it feels like since my molar has been removed, the wisdom tooth has started moving and is now trying to break through to the inside of my mouth (scratching my tongue).

I have a picture which is really poor quality, using a crappy phone and a torch lol ( I truly don't have any other camera). It will probably be useless but i'll post it for posting's sake.

[broken link removed]

Sorry for the awful picture, really. But you can atleast see how big it is using the other teeth for scale and it feels as though there is either a whole lot more shard inside the gum or it's my wisdom tooth going on an adventure...

Shall I just wait it out and see if it's simply a large shard that'll pop out in a few days or go down to the emergency dentist and spend money I don't have :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
it seems the edge of the bone (where the molar was) is indeed sharp. It is a known complication when extracting a lower molar. It will probably not heal by itself even though the extraction was not long ago.
I advise you to go back to the dentist, it is very easy to fix: the dentist needs to smooth the bone under local anesthesia of course.

Back