• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Large job, terrified!

M

Mooie

Hi All

So next week, due to avoiding the dentist for many years, I am having my entire top jaw of teeth removed, bone levelled and implants fitted. I am having IV sedation and after all the work is done I know that it will change my smile and my life for the better. My dentist and anaesthetist are lovely, really nice people who have explained the whole procedure to me. But I am really worried about the procedure and am keen to hear from anybody else who has experienced IV Sedation and how it felt? I have read that lots of people don't remember anything afterwards which is fine, but I am worried that actually during the procedure I will be aware of everything and all the work instead of just being asleep. It's like a 5 hour operation I think? Anyway, keen to hear anybody who has been through similar work and their experience of the IV sedation. Thanks!

Hi Mooie,
I do not have much personal experience with IV sedation but I think typically, you are not aware of what’s going on in treatment and should be “asleep.” I had IV sedation once many years ago for my wisdom teeth. I had some fleeting moments of awareness that I can remember but I was never scared or in pain. It felt like when you are just too tired to even open your eyes and I didn’t really care about anything happening in those moments when I became aware. The rest of the time, I think I was completely out. I was also very difficult to sedate (I just didn’t go under easily ...for whatever reason, I was very resistant to the meds) and I was told that I kept resurfacing during treatment and they would have to give me more medication to keep me under. They gave me the first dose to knock me out and I only got dizzy/light headed for a moment and bounced right back and then went under after a second dose. I’m told that my experience is not typical. It wasn’t a bad experience, it was just very strange.

Between these brackets is everything I remember about iv sedation:

[

]

I remember coming to hours later, drooling, which was fine.

You should be just fine. Good luck.

Between these brackets is everything I remember about iv sedation:

[

]

I remember coming to hours later, drooling, which was fine.

You should be just fine. Good luck.

This is the best IV success story I have ever read!

Hi Mooie,

you actually will be aware during the procedure and even able to talk to your dental team and let them know if you liked or didn't like anything. Despite that it will afterwards feel as if you have been asleep, because the drug used for sedation causes memory loss. You will basically keep forgetting what was happening just few minutes ago over and over again, so practically it will feel as if you were asleep. Sedation should feel pleasant and make you very relaxed and comfortable and your dental team is well trained to see whether it works or not and adjust things for you. They won't start the procedure before the sedation took proper effect.
It sounds like you are in the best hands with your dental team, which is great. If on the day of the procedure there is anything that worries you, it might be a good idea to let them know.
We have an article about iv sedation here on the site, if you haven't read it already.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Back