• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Last trip to the dentist 9 years ago - Need major work...

C

cliff83

Hi guys,

Im 28 years old and terrified of the dentist, the smell, the procedures, the environment. Everything about it.

When i was a kid i had bad experiences, 8 ppl holding me down then gassing me out..ect (before i was 10 years old)

I went to the dentist twice after that, both times i got sedated and had ALOT of work done. At 15 and at 19.

Now im 28, i need work done. 2 of my wisdom teeth look like a valcano..yes that badly rotten, One of them i can put my tongue into the tooth and i cant even feel the bottom. That one has had an infection for approx 8 months. The gum would swell up once every 2 months or so and when i close my jaw/teeth they do not meet/match up to each other. The swelling lasts for approx a day or 2 and then goes down for a couple months. No pain...yet!. Still i am terrified of the dentist i cant get myself to go. I've been to the GP 4 times and each time they wont give me anything to sort it out. On the side of the gum where the wisdom tooth is a blister type thing and it pops everytime i touch it.

My issue is, i want to go to the dentist but funds are fairly hard to come by at the moment. Together with the fear of the dentist i just cant go at the moment. Also the times i went before when i got sedated my grand mother was with me. As apparently you have to have a adult with you. Well she is not here anymore and i dont have anyone else to come with me.

I was wondering if anyone can point me where i can get sedated without bringing a adult with me? is it possible? or only possible at a hospital? if possible at a hospital then how can i get the work done at the hospital, whats the procedure?

Thanks

Hi Cliff83,

Sorry to hear about your dental worries.

It really does sound like iv sedation is the best route for you. This thing is, that for several hours following you sedation you will need someone to keep an eye on you as you will not really to be safe on your own.
The adult accompanying you needs to keep an eye on you for a good few hours after the sedation.
Any friend or colleague will do. There is no where, hospital or not that will discharge on on your own.

Sorry but it is safety first in these situations.

Lincoln

Hi Cliff83,

Sorry to hear about your dental worries.

It really does sound like iv sedation is the best route for you. This thing is, that for several hours following you sedation you will need someone to keep an eye on you as you will not really to be safe on your own.
The adult accompanying you needs to keep an eye on you for a good few hours after the sedation.
Any friend or colleague will do. There is no where, hospital or not that will discharge on on your own.

Sorry but it is safety first in these situations.

Lincoln

Thanks for the reply. The reason i mentioned hospital as i thought maybe i could rest for a couple of hours there and then return home on my own?

Thanks for the reply. The reason i mentioned hospital as i thought maybe i could rest for a couple of hours there and then return home on my own?
After iv sedation you really need to be supervised for the rest of the day.Lincoln

Back