• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Laughing Gas & Tooth Extraction?

F

FrostyZara

Has anyone ever had laughing gas with tooth extraction?

I have a really big dentist fear. I've been putting this off for 8+ years. My appointment is on the 9th, (2 days away)

I have to have 7 teeth pulled, I'm really scared & not sure if I'm going to be able to do this or not.

If anyone has any advice, I appreciate the help.

Hi FrostyZara!
I have only had laughing gas once as a child (I was maybe 4 years old) when I had 4 teeth extracted. The only thing I remember is the little nose mask going on my face and biting on gauze after it was done so I think it did the job but I don’t really remember how it made me feel. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon to offer some reassurance! I know many people have had success with it. The biggest challenge may be getting yourself through the door.

I had laughing gas with both my molar extractions I had this past fall. It helped a lot! I was super nervous, as I had terrible experiences with extractions as a kid. The oral surgeon was great, and kept reminding me to take deep breaths through my nose. It helped relax me enough for the local anesthetic to work well, and I did not feel any pain after the initial shots.

you are still awake but usually you are much more relaxed

Dear FrostyZara,

first of all very well done on having made this huge step! I know this first steps after not having been for a while are the most difficult, but remember that having anxiety doesn‘t mean things won‘t work out, it just means you are doing something courageous.

I have never had laughing gas myself but know a lot of people who did. There is an awesome article about laughing gas in the ,What can help‘ section here on the forum if you like some extra information about how it works:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/laughing-gas/

In general, even with sedation, the most important part to coping with a treatment is a dentist you trust. If there are any particular worries you have about the treatment, it might be a good idea to let your dentist know and talk to her/him about this before you start the treatment. In this way they can put you at ease and make sure to take care of you.

Last piece of advice: if you can, take someone with you so that you feel more supported and write your questions on a piece of paper in case you gt too stressed to remember them (which is my case every time I sit in a front of a dentist!

All the best wishes for tomorrow, keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you and let us know how you got on :grouphug:

Back