Lavender Oil

R

Rufus The Red

Hello there, Joined yesterday as I'm a real dental scaredy cat. Racing heart, gagging, can't breathe for fear. Thought of something to try out - buy a nose warmer (seen them on ebay & etsy), fill it with tissue or cotton wool with a few drops of lavender oil - inhale. Also use an eye mask, or just keep your eyes closed. Something for gagging - use an anaesthetic throat spray before dental impressions. Hopefully these tips will help you and I wish you well.

J

JellyBaby

Hi - they are good tips. I am also a terribly anxious, nervous patient. I had to had a full set of Xrays taken yesterday and I was so scared as I have an extremely pronounced gag reflex - but I managed to get through the back ones by breathing very heavily and noisily through my nose - even though I did sound like a horse!!

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
What a great idea for a thread - if people want to add their ideas here, we could link to this thread from our Dental Phobia Tips page for even more suggestions?

R

Rufus The Red

Hello JellyBaby, Well done you - getting your x-rays done. Sounding like a horse? Who cares as long as it worked for you. Some people hum to help the ordeal. Hope you didn't need too much doing after that.