• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Learning to smile again

S

Seashell

My dental journey began in July and after five months of stress, anxiety and sleepless nights I can, at last smile again.

Like many of you I have had years of misery with my teeth, over the years they have chipped, rotted away and been painful. I spent years trying to avoid smiling and conversations about teeth or dentists. I went out of my way to hide my teeth and would worry about a problem which I knew wouldnt go away.

Back in July I reached my lowest point and knew I had to do something, I'm going to be 50 next year and decided I wanted things to change so I told my closest friend and asked for her help. Somehow she managed to find an NHS dentist and took me along to register. I hadn't been to a dentist for 30 years and although I was only there to fill a form in I felt physically sick. I remember coming out and bursting into tears, I think part of it was relief that I was actually doing something about it at last.

I had to wait four weeks for my first appointment, those four weeks were so difficult, I lost weight and spent many days in a state of stress. I started telling my colleagues, one by one and found their reactions were understanding and sympathetic, being able to talk about my fears really helped.

My first appointment was upsetting, although the dentist was gentle and understanding I just burst into tears. Looking back I think the thought of opening my mouth and showing my teeth was more worrying than any treatment, I felt utterly ashamed by the state of my teeth. I had some xrays taken and had to go back four weeks later.

I talked myself out of going so many times but forced myself to go because I truly wanted things to change. When I did return the news wasn't good. The damage was so bad that all my teeth needed to be removed!! I was absolutely devastated, how could this happen, how would I cope with dentures and would everyone be able to tell? I think that was probably my lowest point but gradually I learnt to accept it and focussed on the fact that I was getting rid of my horrid teeth.

Slowly I began to feel more positive about it all and when it was time to go for the impressions I actually went in by myself, my friend had accompanied me previously. I was worried my teeth would come out whilst having the impressions but they didn't. I talked things over with the dentist and decided to have the top denture first and the bottoms at a later date.

On 15 December I went along and had all but three of my top teeth extracted and the following day went back to have the remainder out and immediate denture put it. I can honestly say the whole procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined it would be. There was very little pain and although it felt strange having this piece of plastic in my mouth at first I quickly adjusted to it. I have had the odd day when it's felt a little sore but the confidence I have gained in such a short time makes it all worth while, I can smile again and am no longer worried about anyone seeing my teeth. Everyone tells me I look great and I actually feel it. I am slightly worried about getting the bottoms done, I know they are harder to wear but am determined to have a positive mental attitude.

My advice to anyone reading this would be to firstly open up to someone you trust and ask them to help you, we all need support at times. Tell those closest to you, it's amazing how talking about it helps, after years of avoiding the subject I actually talk freely about the dentist now. Find the courage to take that first step, that first step really is the hardest and finally believe in yourself and your strength. We all deserve to be happy and really don't have to live with dental misery, if I can do it anyone can and believe me I am so glad I did it.

!!!!!BRAVO!!!!!

Thanks mghstl,

I'm not out of the woods yet as I've got to have my bottom teeth removed but I am at a place I never thought I would be. I used to wish I could muster up the courage to go and get the help I needed and am so happy I finally did.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about wearing bottom dentures, I believe they are harder to keep in, but the way I see it is I have no choice so will just have to get on with it. I've learnt I'm much stronger than I gave myself credit for and having this site, reading about others experiences and realising I'm not alone had been a huge help.

I hope my experience encourages someone else to get the help they need.

Hi SS, ;D I have just read your post. I think the more post I read about peoples journeys good and bad is helping me. :)

Its the pain part I think more then anything Im not looking forward to as like I have said I am in no pain at all with my teeth.

anyway good luck with the rest of your journey glad I have you on my side. Hey who knows we may have the bottoms done at the same time then we can laugh (help eachother) about it together. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm facing a future with dentures, all sorts of fears are popping up. It really helps to hear other peoples stories, you've given me hope!:XXLhug:

BRAVO congrats its great to hear that u have had all that donei cant wait till im all done and can smile again congrats :jump::cheers::jump:

Back