• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lets talk about this

T

toothlessish

What does a toothlessish girl do on a wet and lazy Sunday?

Dream and research!

Tooth growing: I've been reading and it does seem that there is a distinct possibility that trials might start on people in two-ten years and whilst at the longer end of the scale that's quite a long time at the shorter it's pretty soon. I've been without one of my front teeth for over two years already. It does make me wonder if waiting for this might be an option. What I read is that the procedure could very possibly be much more phobic friendly than say implants. And really I think anyone would prefer a 'real' tooth if it was possible. It also for what I've read seems that it might improve bone growth as part of it's happening which for those of us with bone loss could be a really good thing. My favourite fantasy is that they are ready to start growing teeth in humans and prefer to grow from stem cells in teeth and so are looking for someone who has the teeth they lost. And I get to say, ME ME, because I have my teeth that have fallen out, sad but even though they're not in my mouth (apart from one) they are still a part of me and they don't have cavities!

Funny ultrasound device: I was reading about this and I don't think it could ever make a tooth grow where there wasn't one but maybe could do really good things: [broken link removed]

And finally: I was also reading about a technique for replacing the bad bacteria with another bacteria therefore preventing (or maybe possibly curing) periodontal disease.

It's all really interesting stuff and although it's a bit future I'm a girl who remembers a world without vcr, computer, bank cards, mobile phones. A world where records were things we played not things that are for breaking. Ready meals didn't exist. Lazer eye surgury didn't exist, ultrasound didn't exist. All the time it seems we move on at such a rate. :o

So we might have a world where first teeth are protected and gum disease ceases to exist, cavities can re 'overwritten' with natural tooth and should we happen to loose a tooth traumatically we just get to grow one. Dentists don't go out of business but going to the dentist becomes a breeze and the outcome is always good. OK so we'll still have to pay for it and it won't be cheap but I will get to eat a damn baguette :)

Lets discuss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, bless your heart little one. :grouphug:

That would be so good. Hope for the future eh? There is a vaccine against dental decay apparently - I remember it was developed at Guys hosp in London - unfortunately, it came to nothing as far as I can tell (Maybe because it was developed at Guys... if it had come from the Royal London now...) Stem cell research seems to be so in vogue at the moment, too. I wish it had been more advanced for me old mum though - she had motor neurone disease - I'm all for advancement in this area.

:)

OY you I'm not so little (at least in my imagination I'm 5ft 5) and I could give a good go at gumming you to death ;D

Do I take it that you don't have much faith in these advancements? Good old Guys I remember it well went for a 'tour' of their labour ward when I was pregnant with my first, took one look and decided that the home birth I wanted was the best option. Twenty years later three kids all born on a grubby living room floor and I swear my hygiene standards surpassed those of the hospital, but that's off topic!

You are right I hadn't realised how en vogue stem cell research is, it seems like it's the new 'thing'. I have a father in law slowly fading with altziemers horrible and sad.

But you are not discussing the issues and that's what I'm trying to get going here. Do we think these advancements will happen? Will the drill become a thing of the past? (will you be sad?) Where is dentistry going? :)

Back