Lingering lump in gum after having infected tooth removed?

Anxious Kitty

Anxious Kitty

I had a tooth removed last Tuesday (you can read my last thread about that) that was badly decayed and had been infected for about 10 years. I know, I know... but it's out now.

I wish I could say I've been completely relieved of all the grief this tooth has caused me but it seems to still be causing me an issue. For ever since this tooth has been really bad/infected, I've had this "lump" sorta feeling thing in the gum where it was.

I've always assumed this to be a build up of infection. It has occasionally abcessed and pus would drain from it. But for the most part has been "dormat" I guess? It's just a hard-ish lump I can feel when I poke around with my tongue or push against my cheek with a finger. It's a bit tender to touch.

I thought this would go away shortly after finally getting the tooth out. No more tooth, no more infection right? It should all drain after having the tooth removed, at least I thought that's how it works.

But over a week after having the tooth out, and it is still there. My dentist even put me on amoxicillin for a week but it doesn't feel like it did anything. I suppose it does feel different since having the tooth out.. smaller perhaps? Or just shaped different. But still there.

I'm starting to get worried and frustrated that this thing isn't gone yet. Not sure what to think. I'm concerned that there's still infection lingering from the tooth.

But what striked me as odd was after having the tooth out my dentist said there wasn't even that much infection and the antibiotics were just a precaution.

I've already called twice about this since then. The other day, on Tuesday, I spoke to his assistant who told me there wasnt even ANY infection and again told me the antibiotics were just a precaution. She told me the lump I was describing is probably just gum tissue but that doesn't sound right.

Now I am just so confused. How could there be no infection? The tooth was so bad for so long and I know for a fact there has at least been infection there in the past!

What else could this lump be if not infection?? It's too coincidental that it is right where the tooth was and that any time an abcess would "flare up" it'd come from right where the lump is.

I just want this thing to go away!! It feels wrong and bad and I know it shouldn't be in my mouth. It still hasn't sunk in for me that the worst tooth in my mouth that had been plaguing me for so long is finally out. I was expecting it to feel a lot better and for the lump to go away quickly... I always imagined it'd be like waking up from a bad dream when I finally got the courage to have the tooth out.

But this thing is still here and I'm feeling upset and confused. :(
I feel like I wish they'd take another look at it. I feel like they're not listening to me. I love my dentist office but this really sucks. I feel like they should have given me stronger antibiotics (cuz I've been on amox for other things before in the past 10 years so what if this particular infection is resistant?)

I want to call them again but I feel like a bother and like they'll just tell me the same thing again....

I don't even know what my question is now. Guess I'm hoping a dentist on here or another patient who's dealt with this can give me some insight.
Glad the tooth is gone but feeling down about this little "lump" thing.

D

drm

Verified dentist
It isn't unusual for the gum tissue to take some time to heal after having a bad tooth taken out. If you don't have any other signs of infection (pus/bad taste, large swelling, fever) then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The gum tissue almost always heals just fine given enough time. The healing process can take a couple of weeks up to a couple of months.

Anxious Kitty

Anxious Kitty

Thanks, that sounds similar to what she said on the phone. But I'm still confused.

How can I know it's just gum tissue? It doesn't feel like it is to me.
I'm probably having trouble describing my symptoms which doesn't help...

The lump I'm referring to feels hard and bony but tender if I apply pressure to it. Its NOT in the extraction site! It's below where the tooth used to be.

It also didn't show up after the extraction. It's been there for YEARS and I know it's at least related to previous infection.

From what I understand, old infection can form as a hard/bony lump like what I'm feeling so I feel like that's probably what this is.
In which case, how long is it going to take to clear up?

My fear is the extraction wasn't enough to clear it up and that the infection is in my bone where the tooth was formerly attached. I feel like maybe they were supposed to scrape the infection off the bone but they didn't so it's still there and won't go away.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm really convinced I need to have this area cut open and get the infection scraped off... cuz I'm pretty sure what happened is the infection probably spread from the tooth into my bone a long time ago. And the extraction wasn't enough on it's own to get rid of it.

I'm kinda scared. How bad is it to get something like that done?

I might be getting ahead of myself. I guess I need to convince the dentist to look at it in person. The office is closed til Tuesday though. :(

Really just wanna know what's going on with my mouth!! UGH!!!!

I thought this would be as simple as just getting the tooth out and it'd be over. :((

Last edited:
Anxious Kitty

Anxious Kitty

I'm sorry to double post but hoping someone could look at my post again.

My dentist is actually closed until NEXT Tuesday (the 20th). This doesn't feel like an emergency as I've basically already lived with this for so many years... was just thinking and hoping it should've gone away after getting the tooth out!!

It hasn't gotten worse since I posted this but it hasn't gotten any better. But I don't think it's something I can bother my dentist (who I guess is on vacation) for when it's not a true emergency. Should I have my regular doctor check it out?

I'm still so confused and upset over this. Trying to clarify my symptons. It's not so much that it's in my gum as it feels like, in my jaw where the tooth used to be attached.. I really don't think it's just "gum tissue" or whatever.

EDIT: Also from what I've read, jaw bone infection is more common on lower teeth/lower jaw and that's exactly where this tooth was.

I also heard it can be hard to detect unless they do a CT scan which I don't know if I've had or not.

*sighs* I'm still hoping this can be fixed with a stronger antibiotic or something. But I left that tooth infected the way it was for such a long time that I'm not even sure. :/

Last edited:
S

Samantharogers9

I'm sorry to double post but hoping someone could look at my post again.

My dentist is actually closed until NEXT Tuesday (the 20th). This doesn't feel like an emergency as I've basically already lived with this for so many years... was just thinking and hoping it should've gone away after getting the tooth out!!

It hasn't gotten worse since I posted this but it hasn't gotten any better. But I don't think it's something I can bother my dentist (who I guess is on vacation) for when it's not a true emergency. Should I have my regular doctor check it out?

I'm still so confused and upset over this. Trying to clarify my symptons. It's not so much that it's in my gum as it feels like, in my jaw where the tooth used to be attached.. I really don't think it's just "gum tissue" or whatever.

EDIT: Also from what I've read, jaw bone infection is more common on lower teeth/lower jaw and that's exactly where this tooth was.

I also heard it can be hard to detect unless they do a CT scan which I don't know if I've had or not.

*sighs* I'm still hoping this can be fixed with a stronger antibiotic or something. But I left that tooth infected the way it was for such a long time that I'm not even sure. :/

I had my wisdom tooth as well as a bad root canal tooth removed last Monday (1/22/18). Right after my surgery I noticed a probably grape sized hard lump on my jaw bone. This can be felt from the outside, but not the inside. I figured this was probably just swelling of some sort.
By the weekend, this was EXTREMELY painful. I couldn’t even open my mouth, eat anything etc. I called the on dal dentist who did my surgery. He had said to take pain meds and try a heat compress, as well as to be seen in the office Monday.
Monday morning I go in for an appointment. He tells me he honestly isn’t sure what it is. It could be a hematoma, could be other things. Basically, he would have to put me back to sleep, cut back into the site and look around. We scheduled this for the following day.
Tuesday morning I go to the dentist, nervous as ever. They put me to sleep and do their procedure. Once awake, he tells me it was “granulation tissue”... said the bump was gone. I was still very out of it due to the medicine they used to put me to sleep. I was brought home and went to bed. I woke up a few hours later much more aware. I was in even worse pain then I was before, and the bump was still there! I asked the person who brought me what the dentist said. She informed me he told her the bump was completely gone and all it was, was granulation tissue. Of course, I googled this. I was thinking, he’s crazy! The bump can’t be seen from the inside of my mouth.. only felt from the outside. Everything I’ve read about granulation tissue is that it forms at the side of the wound....
so here I am, 2/1/18 and still in awful pain with this bump still on my jaw bone. I have read online that it could in fact be a bone infection, but this would have to be something I’d have tested at the hospital. I am wondering if I should again, go back to the dentist and see what they say now... or if I should give it some time.

C

Cambridge

Hello Samantha , any update on your symptoms ? Im actually going through the exact same thing now. My tooth got infected, actually its been infected 3 times in the past 2 years. Recently got my courage up and went to oral surgeon (its infected now) but she couldn't get it extracted because she couldn't get the tooth numb, somehow the infection was messing with the local , messing up its numbing capability. The next day, I woke up with this marble feeling lump on my jaw bone. Like yours, could only feel it from outside, feels hard and hurt to touch it and was sensitive. It was also right under the area of the infected tooth. Doctor seems to think the infection caused a abscess in my gum, put me on 10 days of antibiotics, and said should go away. Cant wait to get this tooth out and be done with this ! Hope you are all better now !!!

:)

B

Barbie6482

I had my wisdom tooth as well as a bad root canal tooth removed last Monday (1/22/18). Right after my surgery I noticed a probably grape sized hard lump on my jaw bone. This can be felt from the outside, but not the inside. I figured this was probably just swelling of some sort.
By the weekend, this was EXTREMELY painful. I couldn’t even open my mouth, eat anything etc. I called the on dal dentist who did my surgery. He had said to take pain meds and try a heat compress, as well as to be seen in the office Monday.
Monday morning I go in for an appointment. He tells me he honestly isn’t sure what it is. It could be a hematoma, could be other things. Basically, he would have to put me back to sleep, cut back into the site and look around. We scheduled this for the following day.
Tuesday morning I go to the dentist, nervous as ever. They put me to sleep and do their procedure. Once awake, he tells me it was “granulation tissue”... said the bump was gone. I was still very out of it due to the medicine they used to put me to sleep. I was brought home and went to bed. I woke up a few hours later much more aware. I was in even worse pain then I was before, and the bump was still there! I asked the person who brought me what the dentist said. She informed me he told her the bump was completely gone and all it was, was granulation tissue. Of course, I googled this. I was thinking, he’s crazy! The bump can’t be seen from the inside of my mouth.. only felt from the outside. Everything I’ve read about granulation tissue is that it forms at the side of the wound....
so here I am, 2/1/18 and still in awful pain with this bump still on my jaw bone. I have read online that it could in fact be a bone infection, but this would have to be something I’d have tested at the hospital. I am wondering if I should again, go back to the dentist and see what they say now... or if I should give it some time.

I think I have the exact same thing. A hard lump below the extracted tooth site. Did you find anything out about yours?

E

ecushawn

I think I have the exact same thing. A hard lump below the extracted tooth site. Did you find anything out about yours?

I, too, feel like I'm dealing with the exact same type of crazy. Nearly three weeks ago, I had a quick and painful onset of an infection in tooth 30, second from the back on my right side. I was originally treated with an antibiotic, Levaquin, and some Vicodin. Cool...I normally don't fill a narcotic prescription, typically Motrin is enough. This isn't my first rodeo as despite regular dental check ups and what I thought was simple daily maintenance, my teeth suck. Thank god I filled this script this once....for a day, after a day or two this wasn't cutting the pain, I was seeing/feeling no relief for the infection. Fast forward to Sunday, I thought I wouldn't make it. I called the emergency line truly believing I was having a dental emergency. Surprise, surprise, no one answered. I tried combating the pain with cold compresses, Vicodin, back rubs from my sweet husband and deep breathing exercises....it was a long, painful night. Monday morning I was at the door when the dentist opened. He does some poking and prodding, gives me a new antibiotic, Clymadinizine (or something along those lines) and now some Percocet. Cool...again, not my thing to take pain meds BUT this pain was whoa. Fast forward three days...RIDICULOUS, SCREAMING AND ROCKING MYSELF IN A CORNER PAIN!!! What is this? Why do I feel this way? Make it stop! I could go through child labor 10 more times before I experience this nerve rocking pain! Back in I go with my face visibly swollen and the pain..well you know what kind of pain. It's at this point that he says I'm perplexed about these antibiotics not working..yea buddy, me too! He says he can do something, though it's not his favorite thing to do, and that's to open the tooth. Ok, I'll try anything at this point. He proceeds to try to push the abscess up with his hands...ouch! Then he opens the tooth. The next 12 hours is WORSE than the previous days and I feel as though I'm going to pass out from the pain. Friday, I wake up feeling a million times better. Fast forward to Tuesday, I head to the endodontist. My dentist sent me on my way on Thursday with a referral and yet another antibiotic, Amoxicillin. The endodontist takes a super pricey 3D xray, examines it at length and then states he believes it's an infection but will be sending it to the radiologist....Do what?? I just took my self to worst case scenario with that word!! He then begins the root canal and sends me on my way with well wishes, see ya next week and ANOTHER ANTIOBIOTIC, Flagyl! Well, it's the night before I go into the endodontist again and the lump is still there under the tooth but stretching up two teeth of gumline in front and able to be felt between the gum and cheek. Also able to run finger down side of jawbone and feel it. No pain, seems smaller (not able to see with the naked eye any longer) BUT STILL THERE.....What is this? I want it known and gone...

K

Kathypena1020

Did you find out what the bump is

V

Vohtrake

Please can someone, anyone here who experienced this, reply with a follow up of what it was and what you did? Hours of searching the internet reveals no follow ups but hundreds of people with that hard painful lump on their jawbone.

A

amic09

I had a seriously infected tooth drained and then extracted back in September. Not sure if it’s the same thing, but I still have a small but there lump by the extraction. I’ve been back to the dentist for my bridge placement and exams since then and he hasn’t said anything. It’s also starting to go down.