• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lingering lump in gum after having infected tooth removed?

Anxious Kitty

Anxious Kitty

I had a tooth removed last Tuesday (you can read my last thread about that) that was badly decayed and had been infected for about 10 years. I know, I know... but it's out now.

I wish I could say I've been completely relieved of all the grief this tooth has caused me but it seems to still be causing me an issue. For ever since this tooth has been really bad/infected, I've had this "lump" sorta feeling thing in the gum where it was.

I've always assumed this to be a build up of infection. It has occasionally abcessed and pus would drain from it. But for the most part has been "dormat" I guess? It's just a hard-ish lump I can feel when I poke around with my tongue or push against my cheek with a finger. It's a bit tender to touch.

I thought this would go away shortly after finally getting the tooth out. No more tooth, no more infection right? It should all drain after having the tooth removed, at least I thought that's how it works.

But over a week after having the tooth out, and it is still there. My dentist even put me on amoxicillin for a week but it doesn't feel like it did anything. I suppose it does feel different since having the tooth out.. smaller perhaps? Or just shaped different. But still there.

I'm starting to get worried and frustrated that this thing isn't gone yet. Not sure what to think. I'm concerned that there's still infection lingering from the tooth.

But what striked me as odd was after having the tooth out my dentist said there wasn't even that much infection and the antibiotics were just a precaution.

I've already called twice about this since then. The other day, on Tuesday, I spoke to his assistant who told me there wasnt even ANY infection and again told me the antibiotics were just a precaution. She told me the lump I was describing is probably just gum tissue but that doesn't sound right.

Now I am just so confused. How could there be no infection? The tooth was so bad for so long and I know for a fact there has at least been infection there in the past!

What else could this lump be if not infection?? It's too coincidental that it is right where the tooth was and that any time an abcess would "flare up" it'd come from right where the lump is.

I just want this thing to go away!! It feels wrong and bad and I know it shouldn't be in my mouth. It still hasn't sunk in for me that the worst tooth in my mouth that had been plaguing me for so long is finally out. I was expecting it to feel a lot better and for the lump to go away quickly... I always imagined it'd be like waking up from a bad dream when I finally got the courage to have the tooth out.

But this thing is still here and I'm feeling upset and confused. :(
I feel like I wish they'd take another look at it. I feel like they're not listening to me. I love my dentist office but this really sucks. I feel like they should have given me stronger antibiotics (cuz I've been on amox for other things before in the past 10 years so what if this particular infection is resistant?)

I want to call them again but I feel like a bother and like they'll just tell me the same thing again....

I don't even know what my question is now. Guess I'm hoping a dentist on here or another patient who's dealt with this can give me some insight.
Glad the tooth is gone but feeling down about this little "lump" thing.

It isn't unusual for the gum tissue to take some time to heal after having a bad tooth taken out. If you don't have any other signs of infection (pus/bad taste, large swelling, fever) then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. The gum tissue almost always heals just fine given enough time. The healing process can take a couple of weeks up to a couple of months.

Back