• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lingual Nerve Damage

A

Anxious

The Dentist told me that there is always a risk for lingual nerve damage, when extracting wisdom teeth, but when I asked if it will interfere with speech, eating, drinking, and swallowing he said NO, but he said it would be more of a sensation kind of thing. Is this correct? As I did some reasearch and it said that it might EFFECT what I mentioned before. The Dentist said that they will do there very best so not to have this damage done. (They were very nice.) They said that they will have to cut through the bone to get the tooth out and this could last from 10mins to 45. It's going to be done under LA. Thanks.

The Dentist told me that there is always a risk for lingual nerve damage, when extracting wisdom teeth, but when I asked if it will interfere with speech, eating, drinking, and swallowing he said NO, but he said it would be more of a sensation kind of thing. Is this correct? As I did some reasearch and it said that it might EFFECT what I mentioned before. The Dentist said that they will do there very best so not to have this damage done. (They were very nice.) They said that they will have to cut through the bone to get the tooth out and this could last from 10mins to 45. It's going to be done under LA. Thanks.

The movement of the tongue is controlled by the hypoglossal nerve. Lingual nerve is purely sensory. The two are unrelated and your dentist correct.

Back