• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

lipstick or no lipstick??

P

Penny

Hi........ I never know if I should put on lipstick or not when I go to the dentist. My mouth is always so dry, I put on lipsalve but not putting on lipgloss and going out feels odd too. What do others do? I feel vulnerable at the dentist putting on lipstick makes you feel more like a woman, less of a child, but I never do. What do others do, and if you do wear lipstick or gloss to the dentist, do they make you wipe it off?? An odd question I know, but I have often wondered, especially when my appointment is half way through the day, I usually end up whiping it off and just going with lip salve on.

I presume this question was really aimed at the females,although these days, one never knows! Anyhow, I never have lipstick on before a visit, but having dry lips I do have lip balm on - sometimes strawberry flavoured but by the time I get there its usually all licked off!

I allways put on just some lip balm. I don't have a problem feeling childish without lipstisk and fortunately the way my dentist treats me makes me feel respected no matter what I look like at the moment.

Btw I have never seen neither my dentist nor my orthodontist wear lipstick so regarding this we are equal. As I'm thinking of it I've actually never seen any of the dentists or hygienists in the center where my dentist works wearing lipstick. Maybe making it easier for female patients?

I generally don't wear lipstick.. so just balm for me!

I generally don't wear lipstick

I wear lip balm and keep it with me in my hand while in the chair;D I whip it out and re-apply it at every available opportunity during treatment (much to my dentist's amusement:)) as I find my lips get very sore and dry,especially with the latex gloves rubbing on the corner of my mouth:cry:

Otherwise, just keep asking the dentist for Vaseline:p That's what I used to do, then realised that it's easier all round to take my own!;)

I don't wear any lipstick or gloss, or any make up for that matter. It doesn't make me feel any braver, so I don't bother. I also don't think he'd appreciate fumbling around in my mouth and making me look like a clown in the process. So I just avoid it.

lip tint.......benefit............makes ur lips pretty but isnt lipstick and cant be rubbed off......expensive but its the best! its a bit like food collouring with a brush lol there arent any women dentists in my area so im gonna go with my dentist doesnt wear make up either :)

Interesting you whould bring this up...last time I went for a cleaning (about 2 months ago) I wore lipstick thinking nothing about it really and the hygenist asked me to wipe it off which is the first time they have ever had an issue with it but she's kinda messy with the water and paste anyways so I appreciated the heads up lol Then I went for a bunch of different fillings and wore lipstick everytime not really thinking about it and the dentist didn't care and it didn't even smudge so...I guess it depends on who's working on your teeth as to whether you should or not.

Lip balm is fine. Lipstick just gets all messed up under the rubber dam so it's probably not worthwhile unless you got the hots for the dentist. :drool: Whenever I have a patient with lots of red lipstick, I usually offer them a tissue to remove it before the rubber dam is placed on. It just saves them all the smudges afterwards making it look like we made out in the clinic. :redface: I'm sure any husbands waiting out the reception area might be wondering what was going on otherwise.

Lip balm is fine. Lipstick just gets all messed up under the rubber dam so it's probably not worthwhile unless you got the hots for the dentist. :drool: Whenever I have a patient with lots of red lipstick, I usually offer them a tissue to remove it before the rubber dam is placed on. It just saves them all the smudges afterwards making it look like we made out in the clinic. :redface: I'm sure any husbands waiting out the reception area might be wondering what was going on otherwise.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What dental phobics have the hots for their dentist??...surely not in a million years....he couldn't be referring to me could he...and the rest of the 'I love my dentist :-* brigade who post on here?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What dental phobics have the hots for their dentist??...surely not in a million years....he couldn't be referring to me could he...and the rest of the 'I love my dentist :-* brigade who post on here?
Not for my dentist (she's a she and so am I!!) but she's definitely a new best friend, but definitely the hots for my sedationist. Wow - looking forward to second meeting in February. As I said at the time in August, he was my sort of man, but unfortunately I was not his sort of woman before sedation and definitely not afterwards although he did say I was beautiful, but he meant the teeth, not me! Well an old woman can dream can't she!;)

My dentist doesnt like me , i make fun of his accent when im there....rly dont even know im doing it, aussie accents are amusing when they're mixed with british........ hes on holiday every five seconds aswell so i think im allowed to make fun seeing as he only works on a monday , my only day off! Jammy job.

oh yeah merry christmas everyone, hope you're not spending it like mine....broke my leg..................word of warning to people , if someone tried to paint you, dont run and fall off roof tops! it hurts!

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah merry christmas everyone, hope you're not spending it like mine....broke my leg..................word of warning to people , if someone tried to paint you, dont run and fall off roof tops! it hurts!

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
The mind boggles. Painting you - as in artist and portrait painting or trying to splosh you (not a mistype for splash) you with paint as in painting a wall? Whatever, what were you doing on a rooftop? Or rather as it turned out, not on a rooftop;D Sorry to laugh, it just sounds funny. I know it hurts though, I've had broken limbs too. So relax and take a rest over the holidays and let everyone else do everything for you - you can't really do otherwise can you. There you are ladies of the house - that's one way to get out of the cooking and all the other chores we end up with over Christmas. Rush up to the roof now, you can always pretend you think you heard Santa's sleigh up there and went to have a look.:ROFLMAO:

Guess I'm like SS except that I'm a he and so is he.Do like to see his assistant though.I believe she's also his significant other.Great folks.Wished everyone lived close enough to Md.or W.Va to be able to use them.Wonder if they serve eggnog with their nitrous this time of year????

we paint the roof of college with a different picture each year its tradition and ym friend tried to paint me, i don't particularly look good in green so i tried to run away, and fell off is kinda funny, and no cooking or house work for me ...life is sweet lol

im like SS aswell the practise owner OMG so sexy its unbelievable, shame hes a cocky knob lol so far up his own bum hes coming out the other side. nice to look at tho haha......

mmmm hot chocolate and biscotti............ life is all the more better now that i didnt have to get that myself.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Having worked as a Dental Assistant; the reason for having you wipe off your lipstick is because the dental workers have to get their fingers into your mouth. Sometimes your lipstick will get onto their gloves and they just don't want to get your lipstick on other things besides your lips, it is a little messy with the colors!

Don't worry if you do wear it to the office though, they will just hand you a tissue sometimes to wipe it off. If they don't ask for you to wipe it off I would ask for a tissue before they begin working on you so you can get it off. If you wear chapstick, vaseline, etc. this is fine since there is no color pigment and helps keep your lips from cracking.

As to why female Dentists/Hygienists don't have lipstick on. They may have started out with it at the beginning of the day. But they wear masks over their mouth/nose and it wipes your lipstick off. On the other hand, they may have not put any on just for that reason too.

So if you feel more comfortable wearing it, do so. At the end, just ask for a hand mirror; which they usually have one in each room to show you your teeth at the end and put your lipstick back on before you leave. While you are at it, check your hair to fix it a little.

I would NOT leave the house without lipstick on and if the dentist smears it, so what?

Back