• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Local Anaesthetic Reaction?

S

ScaredSilly7

Hi all,
On Saturday I had my first ever filling, but not my first local. I asked for the non-adrenaline version as I was worried the adrenaline would make me panic (saw my mum have "adrenaline rush" from injection before so freaked me out)

Anyway, after injection I was told to wait 10-15 minutes. For the first 5 minutes, my upper cheek above where injection was felt swollen but my other half said it did look slightly swollen/puffy. By the time I went back in for filling it had subsided.

Is this normal? I'm freaking out as need 3 fillings next week, one of which on lower jaw, and worried tongue will swell?

Thanks
Emma

You can talk to the dentist about this if you are concerned. I find that the numb feeling can feel like being swollen. It's probably just best to let the dentist know so they can monitor you next time.

Is it safe to have repeated local anaesthetics. I need 3 fillings, two upper left and one lower left. Worried to have my whole left side numb so want to ask if can have lower left at another point. Would mean in space of month would have 3x separate injections.

I'm so scared I'm going to have anaphylactic shock!!

It is safe to have multiple injections as the local anesthetic is metabolized by the body very quickly. The medication will only stay in your system for a few hours and the dentist will administer well below the maximum amount you can safely have. I once had injections at 4 separate appointments within 1 month with no issues. As for the puffy/swollen sensation...my face always feels swollen/fat after having local but it is not actually puffy ...it's a phantom sensation from losing feeling in my face. You can also have some residual swelling at the site of the injectiom from soft tissue trauma which is normal. If you have concerns about allergic reactions discuss them with your dentist prior to treatment. They are required to be prepared for medical emergencies and should have medications on hand to reverse the effects of an allergic reaction in the rare circunstance it could happen.

Back