• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Local anasthesia only for wisdom teeth extraction

Susanne

Susanne

Do oral surgeons ever do wisdom tooth extractions with local anesthetic only? I've checked with a few, including one recommended by my current dentist, and all have been rather unhelpful and unwilling to do it that way. One even said they would only consider just local anesthetic if the patient happened to be pregnant.

I would prefer local only because I do not want the risks of deeper sedation - however small those risks may be - nor do I want to have to deal with any side effects. I'll also need to be able to drive myself home afterward. I was planning to have a family member come with me to help keep me calm, but that isn't possible now that we are dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm trying to postpone having them done as long as possible while we're dealing with the pandemic situation, but one of them has chipped to the point where it is hurting my tongue with the sharp edge and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put it off.??‍♀️

Hi Susanne,

my impression is that sedation gets pushed a lot US when it comes to wisdom teeth removal, almost to a point of people believing that the procedure can't be done any other way. This may be a question of standards in different countries. Where I live, the standard always has been just local as there haven't been much of sedation options in the past. It's just in the last years that surgeons started to offer sedation for the treatment.

From reading around I know there have been posters from US who had their wisdom teeth out with just a local, but I also remember that it involved a bit of looking around. I can only encourage you to keep on looking, there must be a surgeon willing to accomodate your needs and treat you in a way YOU would prefer instead of what they are used to. Your reasons for wanting just local are very valid.

All the best wishes

Do oral surgeons ever do wisdom tooth extractions with local anesthetic only? I've checked with a few, including one recommended by my current dentist, and all have been rather unhelpful and unwilling to do it that way. One even said they would only consider just local anesthetic if the patient happened to be pregnant.

I would prefer local only because I do not want the risks of deeper sedation - however small those risks may be - nor do I want to have to deal with any side effects. I'll also need to be able to drive myself home afterward. I was planning to have a family member come with me to help keep me calm, but that isn't possible now that we are dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm trying to postpone having them done as long as possible while we're dealing with the pandemic situation, but one of them has chipped to the point where it is hurting my tongue with the sharp edge and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put it off.??‍♀️
Here in Ontario Canada I had mine removed under a local, though they were considered "uncomplicated" because all four had come in straight and normal many years before. When my wife had hers done she needed sedation because two were impacted. I assume here at least locals are only done when the extraction is uncomplicated and the patient is of course comfortable with having just a local. On June 12th I face an extraction of a first molar (and my first actual extraction of an adult tooth), and sedation was offered, so maybe it is just the policy of the Dentist in question?

It isn’t required for wisdom teeth. I had mine out with general anesthesia long ago, but I had all mine out and they were all impacted.
My husband had all four of his out at the same time with only local anesthetic.
My dentist only offers local anesthesia, not even nitrous, and they do extractions and root canals. My oral surgeon offers local, nitrous, and IV sedation but it is your choice. There is no policy. His only reason for requiring a deeper sedation is if the procedure is complicated enough that it has to be done at the hospital, and not at his office. He works at both, but most of the hospital procedures are jaw related.

Hi Susanne,

I agree, there should be the option of local anaesthetic only. Sedation should be an option primarily for your comfort, not the dentist or oral surgeon. You have valid reasons why you’d prefer a local anaesthetic only and provided the wisdom tooth is an average presentation, you should be able to find someone who can help.

As Enarete said, the US is a bit more liberal with sedation than many other countries but just because it’s the norm doesn’t mean it’s the only option. I’d call around and find someone who fits the criteria you are looking for that you will feel comfortable with.

In relation to the sharp edge on the tongue, some over-the counter temporary filling material or orthodontic wax may do the trick in making that more tolerable for you in the mean time. I appreciate accessing dental care is challenging at the moment. I hope you find the solution that you’re looking for.

All the best,

Niall

Can surgical extraction of a broken wisdom tooth be done under local anesthesia only? I have put off having my wisdom teeth removed due to the Covid pandemic and my family doctor's advice that waiting would be safer, if possible. The bottom two are now partially broken and would require a surgical extraction rather than a simple one.

How long would a surgical extraction take? Is the type or amount of anesthetic used different than that for a simple extraction? Are the stitches used dissolvable?

Sure it can, no problem.
How long is a piece of string :) Usually about 15-20 minutes though.
Usual local is fine, most dentists use dissolving sutures these days.

Regardless of the degree of impaction or the amount of decay/damage to wisdom teeth, is it possible to do extractions under local anesthetic only? Have any of the posters on this forum had theirs removed with local anesthetic only?

Where I live here in the States, most of the oral surgeons and a good many of the general dentists I've consulted will only do it if the patient agrees to sedation or what amounts to general anesthesia. I am uncomfortable with either of those options for a number of reasons and, since I will likely need to drive myself to and from the appointment(s), I can't be sedated. Any ideas on how to go about finding or convincing a dentist/oral surgeon to perform the extractions with local only? I've tried explaining why I am unable to do sedation, but most have been unwilling to compromise.

Regardless of the degree of impaction or the amount of decay/damage to wisdom teeth, is it possible to do extractions under local anesthetic only? Have any of the posters on this forum had theirs removed with local anesthetic only?

Where I live here in the States, most of the oral surgeons and a good many of the general dentists I've consulted will only do it if the patient agrees to sedation or what amounts to general anesthesia. I am uncomfortable with either of those options for a number of reasons and, since I will likely need to drive myself to and from the appointment(s), I can't be sedated. Any ideas on how to go about finding or convincing a dentist/oral surgeon to perform the extractions with local only? I've tried explaining why I am unable to do sedation, but most have been unwilling to compromise.
I live in the states and I know that some surgeons will do it under local only, as long as they are not impacted, or involve the nerve. My husband had all four out under local only many years ago when it wasn’t as common. He refuses to go under general anesthesia for any procedure. He even had a knee surgery with a spinal block instead of general, which I didn’t know was possible. You may have to drive farther to find a surgeon that will do it, but I would call around and ask.

Hi Susanne, I have merged your new thread with some of your previous threads on the same topic as there were quite a few good answers there ? - hope that’s ok!

@Susanne I have had wisdom teeth extracted under local anaesthetic. Lower took longer as it was more complex but still local only. The lower was done at the hospital but its years ago (probably 15 years now) but my sister had hers removed at a dental surgery who employs a surgeon so they could do stitches.

Back