• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

local anesthesia and wisdom teeth removal?

D

Dg1296

I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled soon. I opted for local anesthesia. I have a fear of being put under with iv sedation. What is the numbing process like? How does it feel to be numb? Never had any major dental work done. More worried about being able to brethe and swallow when I am numb. I am only getting 2 out and they are both on my left side. Will the right side of my mouth be numb too or will I have feeling in it. Tryin to mentally prepare for the procedure and need some help easing my mind. Thank you.

I had a tooth extracted a number of years ago. It really was not that bad. I have the same fear as you in terms of general anesthesia. Since they are both on the same side it should be easier. You will have full feeling on right side.

Good luck with it!

Here is my attempt to describe the numbing in as much detail as possible, hope it helps.

Your dentist will first apply a numbing gel. It makes your gums numb in that particular area so that you do not feel anything during the numbing process. It gets applied with a cotton swab and it gets held there for few seconds. There are a lot of types of numbing gels, the one my dentist uses takes about 20 seconds to work. My dentist uses one without flavor and it tastes a bit weird but its on the gums in the corner of your mouth and not on your tongue so it doesn't bother much. Some dentists use flavored numbing gels.

After that your dentist starts with the numbing. This is rather a boring part because you just lie there, do not see and feel much and it's like just being there with the dentist holding something in your mouth and you both do not move for few minutes and that's all. I find this part so boring that I prepared some questions about dental hygiene for my dentist last time so that he has a chat topic for this few minutes. It worked well.
After your dentist is done you will start to feel the numbness kicking in.

It is a funny feeling. Your right side will be fine and you will be perfectly able to swallow and also to breathe. What will be numb is the area around the tooth (which for you won't feel any different than it feels now) and a part of your cheek and you might feel some sensation in the right part of your lips and maybe some tingling in the tongue. These are the sensations that are a bit funny. You basically do not feel anything but it manifests as a weird feeling similar to being swollen (no pain, just the sensation as if your cheek had more volume than usually and for me it feels like tingling). This feeling is only in your cheek and ends somewhere around your lip. Your throat will be like always, these parts are completely separated.
Also if you touch your cheek it's funny. Again, no real discomfort, just a funny feeling.

During the procedure you will notice that something is happening, you will feel your dentist touching the tooth and the gums but you won't feel pain and everything that happens will just feel like the same light pressure. For this reasons chances are that you won't even notice that your dentist is done with the extraction because due to the numbness it all feels the same - you won't notice if the procedure just began or ended. I was fairly surprised as my dentist said we were done, I actually had difficulty to believe him (and we did all 4 wisdoms so I was numbed on all sides and could talk and breathe and swallow and it was fine)

All the best wishes, I am sure you will be surprised how easy it went. Look forward to your updates:)

I had my wisdom teeth out with local. You can breath and swallow as you normally do - these things won’t be affected. You’ll be numb only on the side where you’re having the extractions. You’ll stay numb anywhere from an hour to 4-5 hours depending on the type and amount of anesthetic used.

Here is my attempt to describe the numbing in as much detail as possible, hope it helps.

Your dentist will first apply a numbing gel. It makes your gums numb in that particular area so that you do not feel anything during the numbing process. It gets applied with a cotton swab and it gets held there for few seconds. There are a lot of types of numbing gels, the one my dentist uses takes about 20 seconds to work. My dentist uses one without flavor and it tastes a bit weird but its on the gums in the corner of your mouth and not on your tongue so it doesn't bother much. Some dentists use flavored numbing gels.

After that your dentist starts with the numbing. This is rather a boring part because you just lie there, do not see and feel much and it's like just being there with the dentist holding something in your mouth and you both do not move for few minutes and that's all. I find this part so boring that I prepared some questions about dental hygiene for my dentist last time so that he has a chat topic for this few minutes. It worked well.

It is a funny feeling. Your right side will be fine and you will be perfectly able to swallow and also to breathe. What will be numb is the area around the tooth (which for you won't feel any different than it feels now) and a part of your cheek and you might feel some sensation in the right part of your lips and maybe some tingling in the tongue. These are the sensations that are a bit funny. You basically do not feel anything but it manifests as a weird feeling similar to being swollen (no pain, just the sensation as if your cheek had more volume than usually and for me it feels like tingling). This feeling is only in your cheek and ends somewhere around your lip. Your throat will be like always, these parts are completely separated.
Also if you touch your cheek it's funny. Again, no real discomfort, just a funny feeling.

During the procedure you will notice that something is happening, you will feel your dentist touching the tooth and the gums but you won't feel pain and everything that happens will just feel like the same light pressure. For this reasons chances are that you won't even notice that your dentist is done with the extraction because due to the numbness it all feels the same - you won't notice if the procedure just began or ended. I was fairly surprised as my dentist said we were done, I actually had difficulty to believe him (and we did all 4 wisdoms so I was numbed on all sides and could talk and breathe and swallow and it was fine)

All the best wishes, I am sure you will be surprised how easy it went. Look forward to your updates:)

Thank you so much for your in depth response. That helped ease my mind a little. I am getting the procedure done tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Got them out yesterday. Can not belive how much I worked it up in my head. Very easy. Just now gotta deal with the healing pain

Back