• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Local Anesthetic for Wisdom Teeth Removal Questions!

B

brittanymaria423

Hello.

I'm supposed to have two Lower wisdom teeth removed but I'm very anxious about the medications and their effects. I am particularly worried about the local anesthetic.

What type of local anesthetic is typically used for Lower wisdom teeth removal? They are not impacted and are both partially erupted, although one is slightly crooked. I would be under oral sedation and it would be done by a regular dentist not surgeon.

I really dislike being numb after the dentist and am wondering how long the numbness from the local typically lasts after this type of Removal? I've read that some anesthetics last up to 12 hours and I really don't want that. I would rather feel pain than be frozen. Is it possible to request a shorter lasting anesthetic?

Thanks!

I just had my top two wisdom teeth removed with a local. Felt no pain at all. Was numb aboit 4 hours.

Dear brittanymaria423,

hi and welcome :) I totally understand your concerns - the feeling of being numb can be quite scary, I do not enjoy it either. The nubness should wear off after few hours, like Islandersgirl says. I do not know where you have read about anesthetics that last up to 12 hours, but I cannot imagine this aplying to your case - there is no need to freeze you for such a long time just for two wisdom teeth.

The best thing to do is to explain your concerns to your dentist and ask him, what kind of anesthetics he would like to use and how long does it take for it to wear off. There are anesthetics that wear off more quickly than the usual few hours. You can ask your dentist, if using such an anesthetics would be possible for your procedure.

Remember that it's your mouth and your teeth, therefore it's your right to know what your dentist would like to do and what options you have. I am sure once he/she knows what your concernes are, he/she can find a way to accomodate your needs and preferences as much as possible.

By the way - I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed with a local, without any kind of sedation and it was the quickest and easiest procedure I have ever had, so do not worry too much.

All the best and keep us posted

Dear brittanymaria423,

hi and welcome :) I totally understand your concerns - the feeling of being numb can be quite scary, I do not enjoy it either. The nubness should wear off after few hours, like Islandersgirl says. I do not know where you have read about anesthetics that last up to 12 hours, but I cannot imagine this aplying to your case - there is no need to freeze you for such a long time just for two wisdom teeth.

The best thing to do is to explain your concerns to your dentist and ask him, what kind of anesthetics he would like to use and how long does it take for it to wear off. There are anesthetics that wear off more quickly than the usual few hours. You can ask your dentist, if using such an anesthetics would be possible for your procedure.

Remember that it's your mouth and your teeth, therefore it's your right to know what your dentist would like to do and what options you have. I am sure once he/she knows what your concernes are, he/she can find a way to accomodate your needs and preferences as much as possible.

By the way - I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed with a local, without any kind of sedation and it was the quickest and easiest procedure I have ever had, so do not worry too much.

All the best and keep us posted

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I will definitely ask my dentist what type he will use and how long it lasts.

Back