• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

looking for information on partials - scared to death

F

fearful tears

Ok - I know i am not alone but I am scared to death of a dentist. Just something about having someone in my mouth. With that said - after years of avioding one - i need dental work. Partial dentures for the top and bottom front. Can anyone give me information on their experience with this? He is talking about the flexable kind. That is if I can even get myself there for the extrations. Just the thought of having them removed scares me into a panic attack. Any information would be a great help in moving me forward.

Hi and:welcome:!!
I had 9 extractions done under IV sedation last October!! I can say that the extractions were MUCH less painful to recover from than the constant toothaches I had for 23 years (of not seeing a dentist)
The night after my extractions I had some soft food, took my pain meds, and went right to sleep. I was lucky, I really didn't have much recovery pain AT ALL. Of course, I think I thought the pain was going to be like a toothache, and IT IS NOT!!!
Just read some of the journals here and the success stories and that will help.
I know reading some of the posts on this forum really helped me last year.
Hope that helps!!
Wishing you well,
:hug2:,
Jen

Hi, I had 6 bottom front teeth extracted and have a partial. Chickenjen is so right that having the extractions do not hurt..I was amazed!
The partial I have is called a flipper which is made from acrylic. In the beginning it does feel a bit foreign in your mouth but they do become a part of you. There are days now I forget I have a partial because I feel like I don't have anything in my mouth that doesn't belong to me.
I have posted my journey in the journal section, if you like read thru it...maybe it will help ease your worry a bit.

Thank you so much for writing back to me. I cannot tell you how much it helps. I will read the journals today and more than likey write back because I know I will have questions.

Thank you again for your support.

What were they for partials?? I just cannot imagine haveing my front top teeth pulled. OH MY GOD!!! It makes me sick thinking about it and I do plan to us IV sedation - no matter the cost.
Hi and:welcome:!!
I had 9 extractions done under IV sedation last October!! I can say that the extractions were MUCH less painful to recover from than the constant toothaches I had for 23 years (of not seeing a dentist)
The night after my extractions I had some soft food, took my pain meds, and went right to sleep. I was lucky, I really didn't have much recovery pain AT ALL. Of course, I think I thought the pain was going to be like a toothache, and IT IS NOT!!!
Just read some of the journals here and the success stories and that will help.
I know reading some of the posts on this forum really helped me last year.
Hope that helps!!
Wishing you well,
Jen

I was lucky, all my front teeth are intact and healthy. All my problems were in the back. Actually, I can still smile and people wouldn't even notice that any of my teeth are missing.
So I kind of lived this double life; when I smiled nobody could tell how bad my teeth were (I just didn't smile very wide;)) but the problems were there alright!
The biggest impetus that got me to the dentist was the constant pain. I had some pain in one tooth or another for the better part of 23 years!!! I CAN'T tell you how better I feel physically now that all those problems are out of my mouth.
Believe me, (I know I've said this before) going to the dentist is not 1/2 as bad as the pain those bad teeth give you!!!
Jen

Hello Fearful tears,

It's wonderful :) to see you here on the forum. Welcome, welcome. We are definitely here to help you and support you in the best way we can... and you have taken the courageous step in posting on here so that we here can be of support to you.

I saw your post on being terrified of the dentist and wanted some experiences with having partials. I would like to help you.

You mentioned that you are terrified of even the thought of having the extractions done. is this fear something that you would like to explore further?

IF this is something that you would like to explore,
Is the terror of having the extractions done from the fear of getting numb, the fear of what the procedure will be like, the fear of what it will look like when the teeth are gone, or is it something else altogether?

We're gonna get you to the other side with a partial and a pretty smile!!

Your cheering squad,
Dr. Shirley

p.s. if you prefer, you can also personal message me with your feedback. take care fearful tears.:hug2:

Back