• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for support - made my first appointment in 10 years

M

mck84

Hello,
I've been reading this forum for a few days since I made my appointment for Wednesday this week (8/24). I am so incredibly nervous and worried. I haven't been to the dentist in 10 years. Not really out of fear of procedures, but fear of shame from the dentist and others. I have anxiety and have let it control a lot of my life. I don't think anyone knows its been 10 years since I've seen a dentist. I mean they may be able to tell because my teeth are stained.

I know I probably have a cavity in one of my top molars. It hurts a little on and off. More the last few days but I'm wondering if it is my anxiety making it worse. I have tartar on the back of my bottom teeth and probably on some of my other teeth. Its hard to tell because they feel smooth. My gums sometimes bleed when I brush and I don't floss. I know I should and have started to. I am just so worried about them having to pull teeth and what my family and co workers are going to think of me.

Up until my last appointment 10 years ago I had good teeth. Got my annual check up, had braces for a long time, got my wisdom teeth out, never had a cavity. I am so embarrassed I've let things go. I could use a little support because I'm too embarrassed to go to my family for support.

You have come to the right place for support. I am in the same position as you and my appointment is for tomorrow...oh help....
In another post I told about having to re start my dentist story after a break of 4 years or so, before that I was a real bundle of nerves and mortified about the state of my teeth.I explained to the dentist and when I managed to open my mouth he didnt find it unusual at all !
We have to remember the dentists see bad teeth very often,and realise why some people have worse teeth than others.
Do not expect much support from people who dont have dentist fears and anxieties as they cant possibly understand how we feel.People on this forum understand.:)
Write all you like here and keep us posted on your progress.....

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm sure some of my anxiety is completely irrational but its really hard to overcome it. I'm trying everything I can not to think too much about it. At this point there is nothing I can magically do to make my teeth better before the appointment. Only take really good care of them after.

Firstly, well done for making the appointment. That's something to be proud of especially when you have a dental phobia.

I too, have been where you are until I began experiencing unbearable toothache which painkillers weren't touching. So I made an appointment and just had a consultation where they basically told me all the treatment I would need. I've had 4 fillings so far and tomorrow 8/23 I am booked in for 5 extractions and to get my partial dentures. I am worried but take it easy. I promise you will be fine. It's so difficult being afraid but you will feel better once you have been.

Good luck.