• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for support

L

Lauriee

Hello,

I'm new and I'm feeling terrified and mortified.

I don't have a fear of dentists per se, but because of depression, anxiety and low self-esteem I have neglected myself & my health. I've simply not cared about myself.

A few years ago now I had one of my front teeth (upper) extracted, was given a partial denture and was suppose to have an implant but I wasn't able to finish treatment.
Which is frustrating and I'm sure I won't have enough bone there now for an implant. I know my gums have receded which also worries me, but the thing that causes me most anxiety is that I've had a mouth infection for around 4 years (I think) I've totally buried my head in the sand about it, but I'm really struggling to cope now (I don't know how I've coped with it at all) The taste is horrible most of the time and I often feel hot. I'm absolutely terrified about it but I know I need to face up to it. I'm just looking for a bit of support I guess :) Thank you.

Hey Lauriee -

I'm so sorry. This has been traumatic for you. I know the trauma and guilt of losing a front upper tooth, and I lived with a partial for a year.

I would never judge someone suffering from Depression...it's an ugly monster that takes over the lives of millions of people every day, it can be challenging to effectively treat, and it frigging sucks. Depression can certainly make you not care, but remember when you feel so low that you don't think you can get lower, the feelings of worthlessness are the monster taking over - you are not worthless, you are not unattractive or unproductive or unworthy. The Depression is ugly, unworthy, and worthless. Sometimes you can be stronger than the beast and sometimes you can not. There's no shame there...not for you, or anyone else suffering from Depression. I was watching a show about addiction here in America (there's some opioid epidemic happening) and a therapist said something meaningful about addicts and those battling Depression...he said that it's never hopeless as long as the patient is breathing. So don't give up...:) And don't be shy to reach out for help from your Dr. when (and if) you're ready to.

I think there are a lot of people who have implants years after extracction..but I'm not a dentist and don't know the full picture of your dental health. I do think having a comprehensive exam from an excellent Dentist first would be a good starting point. And the Dentist should be able to tell you if you would benefit from a consult with an Oral Surgeon...the oral surgeon would probably take a scan to see how healthy your jaw bone is and go from there.

Don't shame yourself -- there are millions of people who fear dentistry or the cost of dentistry (!!). It's amazing any of us Americans can afford our dental care with the joke that is dental insurance here.

Did you have a dentist that you felt comfortable with...who did your extraction and made your partial? How did you feel about their care?

I don't want to see anyone run around with a dental infection. I would strongly encourage you see a dentist as soon as you can...this may be something that's not as complicated to treat as you think.

I support and encourage you! Do you think you're ready to make a consult appointment yet? It's a big first step. When I'm confronted with big challenges, I like to make lists of small goals that will ultimately achieve the bigger picture goal, steps that I can get done and then celebrate when I complete each step...Did you ever see "What About Bob"? Baby steps!!!;)

I have mental health problems and I neglected my teeth. I am trying to sort them out. I do hope you can find a good and understanding dentist all the best x

Back