• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for your success tips

C

ChrissyO

Hello all , I am heading to my initial consult tomorrow for what I am guessing will be a full mouth extracting and then implants . Am I self diagnosing ? You betcha ! I would love to hear some tips on what has helped you overcome your fears . My last major visit resulted in a very severe panic attack followed by a trip to the ER because I was sure I was having a heart attack ...how embarrassing !

M

MissM250

For me, it was knowing the plan at each appointment, and having them agree to explain each step as they went. I was sure I'd need all extractions, but I was wrong! They are saving a LOT of my teeth and offered me partials and bridges when I said implants were too expensive. Can I ask, what part of it scares you the most? We can try to give you tips to get through each hard part! If you want, check out my Journal or Support thread, I'm going through big work and will happily help support you through yours :)

C

ChrissyO

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure where my fear stems from. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I think my fear comes from the unknown. Your statement about understanding each step really resonates with me. I'm a bit of a control freak and maybe the lack of control with this creates my anxiety

M

MissM250

With my office, they walk through each step, what it's for, and what's next, even when I'm under the nitrous oxide. It makes me feel like I'm participating, and not just having something done TO me. Maybe a call to ask them if they can do this for you may help you feel like you have more control. ♥️

C

ChrissyO

I will certainly mention that during my consultation tomorrow. Thank you

T

thisisme

Hello all , I am heading to my initial consult tomorrow for what I am guessing will be a full mouth extracting and then implants . Am I self diagnosing ? You betcha ! I would love to hear some tips on what has helped you overcome your fears . My last major visit resulted in a very severe panic attack followed by a trip to the ER because I was sure I was having a heart attack ...how embarrassing !

To me, it helped remembering that they are there for me. They are providing a service. Just like a haircut. Also, remembering that you are in control. You are able to stop at any time, or ask for what you need. At my last appointment, I asked for another rinse, which I would have never done in the past. My fear stemmed from being a kid and having all this stuff done to me and never having a say. Take control. It helps. Good luck! You got this.

C

ChrissyO

To me, it helped remembering that they are there for me. They are providing a service. Just like a haircut. Also, remembering that you are in control. You are able to stop at any time, or ask for what you need. At my last appointment, I asked for another rinse, which I would have never done in the past. My fear stemmed from being a kid and having all this stuff done to me and never having a say. Take control. It helps. Good luck! You got this.

C

ChrissyO

That makes sense ...I suppose fear comes from thing being done to me while I'm laying in that chair and being afraid to speak up. Thank you for sharing