• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Loose Bone/Tooth Fragment Moving Around in Gums

H

haeshin

There's some kind of splinter or fragment moving about in the back of my upper right side, where I had a wisdom tooth removed last week (all four taken out in total during two separate visits). I'm pretty sure that it's moving from place to place (though by a few millimeters, I think) and revolving in place to change position. Depending on said position, a sharp point stabs whenever I saw or move my mouth around to talk, or I feel what seems like the bigger end rubbing/pressing towards the tooth right next to the extraction site. When I went to get the stitches out a few days ago, the dentist said that the healing was going well and I didn't feel the fragment then! What is this? I looked up all sorts of things on the Internet but nothing mentioned something like this, or at least, nothing a non-dentist person would be able to tell.

It doesn't hurt but it does bother me. I'm terrified of having to cut into the gums to get it out because the extraction last week was hella painful. Numbing shots didn't do a thing to help. It left me scared to even think of getting a shot to fill in a cavity. I plan (or rather hope to have the guts to do this) to call the dentist this week, but like I said, I'm scared of going through any kind of surgery again!

P.S. Dunno if this matters, but the fragment is on the outer side of my teeth so I'd have to reach around them with my tongue to get near it. Feels like it's trying to move behind the tooth next to the extraction site. Lately I've begun to feel that I'm about to swallow it right down my throat even though I don't think it's close enough for that to happen. CAN it happen????

Last edited:
Hi I am not a dentist but it sounds like a bone fragment. It won't need another operation and your dentist can remove it pain free. You could try rubbing your gum in the area with a flannel to loosen it yourself but if you are feeling sore you might be better letting the dentist do it.

I never understand why they don't make sure that you don't feel any pain when having treatment :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Well, I went to the dentist and he said I had a bit of dry socket (funny, from what I heard I thought that it'd be way more painful) and food stuck up there, so he cleaned it up some. For the rest I have to stay away from that particular area, eat food on the opposite side, do not touch, and wait a few weeks for a hundred percent normalcy. Much to my relief, nothing hurt at all.

Though he did scare me a bit when he picked up a dual-pronged probing tool.

Oh that is good that he managed to help without causing you a load of pain. I am surprised that it is dry socket but pleased that you got it early before it had chance to hurt you too much. BONUS :jump:

I think you suffered enough anyway. Hopefully it will be onward and upward now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:I have never seen a double pronged probe either, scary :o:o:o

All the best to you I hope you heal well now and without any further problems :butterfly:

Back