• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Loose flap over wisdom tooth extraction site

E

erming

I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted 2 weeks ago and had dissolvable stitches and some gauze to stop bleeding. I now have a loose whitish flap over the extraction site. It is attached at each end but loose in the middle. I can move it with my tongue but am trying not to. It feels smooth and a bit like when you have food trapped in a tooth. It is not painful just something I am aware of when eating or speaking. I don't have a bad tate in my mouth. My dentist is a one man practice and is away for 3 weeks so really I am looking for some advice on what this is. Thank you

Not a dentist, Erming.
I've recently had a wisdom tooth extraction and others. Weekly appointments so I got experience of different stages of healing. The wisdom site itself has been fine but I have odd other odd flaps and bumps. Trying to ignore them too!
Thing is I thought healing times were 2 to 6 weeks or something. I'm now told it's 6 months. I mean, I can eat with the gummy bits. I can't detect pain anymore but, it seems, full healing is far from complete.
Hope this helps, 'cause it's all I've got. Certainly, ask in 3 weeks if it's still the same but it is in the early heal so you can expect some weirdness. As long as it's not painful or anything. :)

Hi Ilovemydentistreally
Thank you for your reply it is really reassuring and definitely helps. The weird flap seems to have come away in the last 24 hours...gross but the extraction site feels a lot clearer now. No pain and speaking and eating is easier. As you say many stages in recovery. Hope you continue to recover ok and thanks again.

Back