• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Loose second molars post wisdom extraction? :/

emet

emet

Hello everyone! I got 4 of my wisdumb teeth removed on the 4th, so it's been about two weeks.

So pretty much both of my bottom ones were heavily horizontally impacted and required oral surgery to remove. I'm not sure if age plays a factor, but I am 27 and the teeth were fully grown chonkers.
Healing is going relatively alright, but I have noticed that both bottom second molars wiggle when prodded.

I don't have any heat/cold sensitivity. Left one gives me occasional sharp pain and it is sore, but most likely because I kept poking at it and now it's irritated; it did not hurt prior to me finding out about the wiggle lol. Doing my best to not subconsciously poke at it with my tongue.

I do have an appointment on the 29th, but what I wanted to ask is if this is just an unfortunate side effect of the oral surgery and trauma. Not sure if I should try to change the appointment to an earlier date.

Did anyone else have loose molars post extraction? If so, how long did it take for them to tighten back up?
The gums around the molars also seem to be detached and have a receded look, but I'm going to assume that it is because of the surgical incision. I did not have this problem prior.

Sorry for the essay, I'm just highkey worried that something will go wrong and they'll just fall out lol :(

Thanks for your time

Emet,

:welcome: Welcome to DFC! Wow all four wisdoms , great job going and getting that done. That is a huge step! So get trying to steer your tongue clear of the area but that being really hard. I hope your pain and discomfort goes down soon! Don't have an answer to the wiggle question, but hope they can answer it for you on the 29th but seems like long to wait when you are wondering and dealing with it. Maybe you could call or just even FB or email a quick question and if they think you need to get in sooner they probably can make a way?

Hope you can get an answer soon! and things settle ! and get a big more firm and less wiggly..

I did leave them a message, but unfortunately my dentist isn't back until next week. And this is definitely not something that warrants me calling their emergency line.
It's just that my brain is telling me dude relax it's nothing to worry about, but my anxiety is telling me ur molars will perish the next time you eat ? ? So I wanted to ask if anyone else had the same experience.

Overall they do seem to be tightening a little bit. They are definitely still loose, but a little less wobbly. And they get sore on and off throughout the day, but I'm chalking that up to normal healing process. Curse my mortal body and the inability for instant healing.

Also idk if wisdom teeth extraction affects your jawline, but my jaw looks a bit slimmer and I'll take that as a win.

Thanks for your response! I'll be sure to give an update when I get a definite reply from my dentist just in case anyone else is having the same problem~

Oh good ol' anxiety.. I so get that.. it takes you to the worst places and what if's . Hope it gets better one day at a time and they get back with some good news!

UPDATE:
I managed to grab an appt today to have a follow up on my pesky molars. Turns out, yes it is completely normal for your second molars to be slightly loose after an extraction of impacted teeth. The yeeted teeth leave a gaping hole in your mandible, and it'll take up to 4 months for the bones to heal, and the molars to tighten back up.
So in the meantime, they will be wiggly little goblins and that is nothing to be worried of!
Pain, soreness, and some stiffness is also to be expected during the healing process.

Thanks for following emet's wisdumb teeth wild ride.

Back