• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

loose teeth?

L

laceygirl78

Hi Everyone:

So long story short. A month ago, I found out I had a cracked molar. My only symptom was that it hurt to bite sharp things on the tooth. Went to the dentist, got a filling- problem solved.

Dentist recommended a crown to ensure no further breakage. Had the crown prep and the as soon as the freezing wore off, I could tell something was wrong. It started as a dull ache and turned into throbbing pain. Couldn't put the slightest pressure on the tooth. It was an angry little tooth!

Ended up having a root canal and Endo told me there was still a crack but seemed to think it was fine.
Throbbing stopped immediately. Still have severe percussion pain and chewing pain. My dentist decided to take the temp crown off to let the tooth breathe and soon after that tooth and it's two neighbors feel like they have some play.

I bite down and my one molar hits funny and it feels spongy. I'm not sure if this is normal because I have a mini molar (from the crown prep) that it not doing a good job supporting them, but it it is freaking me out!

I am convinced I have a split tooth or an abscess which is why I still have severe pain after the root canal. I have two follow up appts next week. One with my dentist and one with my Endo. I am worried removal will be the only option.

Help!

It seems weird that the dentist would leave the tooth that has been prepared for the crown without anything on it. It must be so fragile at this point. I would avoid chewing on that side. I do think once a crown is there, the teeth next to it will feel more stable again. Unfortunately, I think that if the tooth is cracked and the crown doesn’t relieve the pain, there may be no other treatment options for the tooth. I know that totally stinks and I recently went through something similar - had a filling on a tooth many years ago, tooth got angry and couldn’t settle, had a root canal that wasn’t fully successful (couldn’t completely fill one of the roots), but that lasted about 5 years before I started having pain again, had a retreatment which provided some relief for a few months, but I ultimately had to have the tooth extracted. The good news is there are many options for replacing a missing tooth if you decide to do that (partial, bridge, implant). I was fortunate to be able to afford to have an implant placed and I’ve just recently finished that process. I was so upset to have the tooth extracted, but I also couldn’t live in pain any longer.

Good luck with your appts this week! Please let us know how they go.

Hi Everyone:

So long story short. A month ago, I found out I had a cracked molar. My only symptom was that it hurt to bite sharp things on the tooth. Went to the dentist, got a filling- problem solved.

Dentist recommended a crown to ensure no further breakage. Had the crown prep and the as soon as the freezing wore off, I could tell something was wrong. It started as a dull ache and turned into throbbing pain. Couldn't put the slightest pressure on the tooth. It was an angry little tooth!

Ended up having a root canal and Endo told me there was still a crack but seemed to think it was fine.
Throbbing stopped immediately. Still have severe percussion pain and chewing pain. My dentist decided to take the temp crown off to let the tooth breathe and soon after that tooth and it's two neighbors feel like they have some play.

I bite down and my one molar hits funny and it feels spongy. I'm not sure if this is normal because I have a mini molar (from the crown prep) that it not doing a good job supporting them, but it it is freaking me out!

I am convinced I have a split tooth or an abscess which is why I still have severe pain after the root canal. I have two follow up appts next week. One with my dentist and one with my Endo. I am worried removal will be the only option.

Help!

Yep sounds like it all started from a crack in the tooth and unfortunately has spread to the root canal system. It is a bit tricky at this stage because you don't know how far this hairline crack has extended to and whether the tooth is salvageable. Your endodontist might have a better idea if he has a microscope and can possibly look for hairline cracks. If the crack has gone through and through the tooth then it might need removing.