• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Loose tooth & infection: what next?

X

Xrose2410

Hello,

I’m a new member after trawling the internet for advice about my phobia, and my current dental issue.

I’ve had a number of terrible experiences with different dentists from the age of six to just three years ago. However, I’m now at a point where I’m in agony and don’t know what to do. I lost a filling a few years ago, had a temporary one put back in which fell out again, and I was too scared to get this sorted. Now the tooth is extremely wobbly and painful.

I called 111 and went to an emergency dentist on Tuesday and was prescribed a 5 day course of metronidazole as he said I have a deep infection and while the tooth needs to be extracted (there’s only about 3/4 of it left) it’s too infected to do anything. He then said to find an NHS dentist once the course is up to have it dealt with. The thing is, I can’t find an NHS dentist taking on right now with good reviews for nervous patients and I can’t afford private treatment. I don’t know what to do. I’ve been crying and having panic attacks as I just want it removed. I’m terrified it’s going to snap on the gym (which has also happened the other side) and I’ll have to wait weeks to have a surgical extraction.

Is there any advice that can be given? I’m at my wits end.

Thank you!

Hi Xrose2410,

sorry to read about your situation. It sounds like the combination of NHS, taking on new patients and being nervous patient friendly is complicated. I can only encourage you to keep on looking, there must be a dentist able to help. If I were you I would contact practices extensively and maybe not pay too much attention to the reviews at first, a brief contact with a practice will tell you whether they are good or not, reviews can be inaccurate sometimes. Would a chat with your GP help?

All the best wishes