• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lorazepam vs Valium

K

KrisPPP

Hi,

I would like to take .05 of Lorazepam vs Valium for dental work. I have the Lorazepam for other anxiety issues and due to that, would like to just take that vs asking for a script for Valium. Do they work the same? Do I need to worry about drug interactions with the numbing or antibiotic?

They're pretty similar, the big difference is the duration of action, Lorazepam lasts a lot longer than Diazepam (Valium). Neither would be my choice if I was wanting to sedate you though, I would choose Temazepam because 1) It's got a much shorter duration of action and 2) It seems to give a better kind of sedation for dentistry.
You don't need to worry about drug interactions but it would be good manners to let your dentist know in advance you plan to take a sedative drug before you go.

Back