• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Losing sleep

• Thread starter Wouldratherbirthachild
  • Start date
W

Wouldratherbirthachild

So here's my story. I have bad dental hygiene. Ever since I was a kid I've had soft teeth which meant that no matter how much I tried I always ended up with cavities.
When in became an adult I slowly stopped going to cleanings bc they would result in expensive fillings etc.
On top of that I'm very resistant to paint killers including lidacaine (sp) often requiring multiple injections.
My last dental experience was 4 years ago when I needed an emergency room canal while pregnant and the dentist couldn't get me numb. To the point where they tried to inject me strait into the root or nerve but that still didn't take. I havent been back to a dentist since.
I have a missing crown, a broken back molar, and several cavities but since they don't hurt I can't bring myself to make an appointment.
I get such bad anxiety just thinking about it. The other day my son had an appt and I could barely stand to be in the office.
Well one of bottom canines has a cavity and it's starting to feel weird, so tonight I emailed an office to schedule an appt. And then I cried bc I don't even know of I can go through with it.

You off to a good start, posting here and contacting a practice.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sounds like you will be fine when you find the right office

Hi Wouldratherbirthachild :welcome:

reading about your past experiences with (not) getting numb it's not a surprise that you are terrified of the dentist! On the contrary, it's really impressive that you found the courage to get in touch with a practice now, so give yourself a huge pat on your back for that.
Getting in touch with a practice after a long time of not going usually is the most difficult step. With regards to your history and difficulty getting numb it sounds to me like it would be a good idea to start really slowly and, as comfortdentist suggests, to find the right practice. The formula for dental fear is quite an easy one: any time you have a bad experience, it gets worse and any time you have a good one, it gets better, so finding someone who takes your fear seriously is very important.

You already got in touch with a practice. Do they know about your past experiences and your intense fear?

We have an article about not getting numb in our common fears section, in case you haven't taken a look yet, you might find some insights and ideas there.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi,

From my experience, there are some patients whom it is more difficult to anesthetize to their satisfaction. I always try to show my commitment to avoid pain and even though in some situations it can be challenging, the fact that the patient feels my commitment and that we are in this working together on finding the best way to go on with treatment, it helps so much the patient to overcome this difficult situation successfully.
As comfortdentist said, in the end you need to find the right dentist and I will focus it about your concern: preventing pain as the highest priority.
If it helps, you can watch my video about fear of pain.
All the best.

Wouldratherbirthachild,

I just want to echo the rest with the fact that even though you fear and have since your hard experiences, you are facing it and moving forward through it, that is the definition of courage. I also believe you have what it takes.. I hope you will find a kind and patient dentist. How was the experience of your son? was it a positive one? and will it be the same office? any particular reason you picked this office? Every small step is positive momentum. a call , an email, even going and sitting in the parking lot. then the chair, just sitting even. I was talking to a hygenist I know and she was saying a lady had called several times and made an appt and could only sit in the parking lot.. she eventually came out when the lady called and told her she was in the lot.. and they helped her through her dental fear.. so every step is a positive one.. no matter how long. You are doing really well and you have a lot of support here! Let us know how it goes..

Back