• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lost Filling

L

lcomfort

I am having a lost filling replaced tomorrow. I am terrified.
This may sound strange but the tooth that I need the filling replaced on is one I had a root canal in so it shouldn't hurt. However, the last time I had work done in that area, I still felt pain in what I guess would be the areas surrounding the tooth that had the root canal.
I can do the novocaine shot but I still feel some pain. Help!:redface:

Hi Icomfort and welcome! Are you sure the tooth having the filling replaced is the same tooth that had the root canal? I'm not a dentist but to my knowledge root canaled teeth always have a crown placed over them afterward? Maybe this is a tooth near the root canaled tooth in which case it would be capable of producing pain. Otherwise, I would guess that either the root canal was not done correctly or the pain is coming from around your gums which case local anesthetic should do the job. If local does not do the job it could be possible that you need more anethetic or need a different injection technique. I would ask your dentist about whether the tooth in question was root canaled because it does not make sense to me that a tooth with a root canal would need a filling replacement...maybe I'm just confused though by what you are saying. I wish I could be of more help. I would try posting this in the "dentistry questions answered" section for some better insight and opinions from our expert dentists who are super friendly and super helpful. Best of luck tomorrow! Remeber that you are in control and if you are in pain let them know so they can help you. Do not proceed with anything uncomfortable or causing you pain. Arrange a stop signal with your dentist in advance to have ready! Please let us know how you get on! :XXLhug: P.S. pardon my typos I'm replying to this on my phone. :p

Last edited:
I am positive that this is the tooth that had the root canal. I know that I am supposed to have a crown but I can't afford it right now. I am looking to have the filling replaced for now until I have the money to get the crown done.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. You are correct that you should not feel any pain. The only thing that I can think of is the pain is coming from around the gums and not the tooth itself. Many ppeople request the local for that reason and just peace of mind. Let the dentist know that you had trouble getting numb last time so they know this is an issue for you. They may know a more effective technique for ensuring that you are comfortable. Best of luck today!

Back