• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower 6 removal

T

TheTinyDancer

Hi everyone, first time posting here. Basically I'm due to get my lower left 6 out. First part of rct was started by nhs dentist however still experiencing pain. My own dentist (private) advised I go to endodontist to redo first part of treatment however due to the covid backlog it will be a long time before I can be seen. Although I know it's best to try and keep the tooth at all costs I feel the tooth is a ticking time bomb at the minute. I have (just about) enough money saved for an implant. My question is how much will chewing function be effected whilst I have the gap? And what is the incidence of dry socket following LL6 extraction? Have been having trouble with my teeth since May (on a soft diet) and gace become phobic because of all the issues. Any help would be very appreciated

Won't make a blind bit of difference to your chewing function.
The individual tooth doesn't make a big difference to the risk of dry socket the main factors are kind of in order of importance:
1) Smoker
2) Lower teeth more risk than uppers
3) Difficult extraction
4) Women more than men
5) Prior history of dry socket

Won't make a blind bit of difference to your chewing function.
The individual tooth doesn't make a big difference to the risk of dry socket the main factors are kind of in order of importance:
1) Smoker
2) Lower teeth more risk than uppers
3) Difficult extraction
4) Women more than men
5) Prior history of dry socket
Thank you so much for the reply @Gordon. Really appreciate it. I'm a non smoker and going to oral surgeon to have it removed (general dentist was happy to take it out but I was too nervous in case something went wrong). Have no prior history of dry socket but have only had upper wisdom teeth out before and they popped out in 2 seconds

Back