• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower block anesthetic is not as bad as I imagined

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So just wanted to reassure anyone out there that might be fearing a lower block shot. I faced it this week at my appt. For about the last 6 years all my work was on top teeth and the last almost 2 years with the same dentist I trusted who gave nearly perfect and perfect shots so after a few I didn't worry as much.

Well.. I had to get a lower retreat root canal this week and the closer it got I thought oh no.. I haven't gotten a lower shot in a while, I have read they were "worse".. and more painful and I absolutely hate having my tongue numb. and honestly I goggled lower block shot and watched a few seconds of a video before convincing myself it just wasn't a good idea to watch shot videos. well.. the assistant asked if I had any questions or concerns before and I told her I was concerned about this, and she told my new dentist. They gave me the topical, well I grabbed her hand ready to give the death grip. They both knew it would be ok.. He gave me the shot I barely felt it go in and it wasn't bad at all.. SUCH A RELIEF!!! It got numb really quick and my tongue did get numb partially which felt weird, I was very conscious about it until he started working on it then I just forgot.

So anyone fearing a lower anesthetic shot like I was.. they can be quite painfree and not bad.. I was very relieved. phew. I guess I get to practice that one next week again, root canal part 2. :p.

That's lovely to read and very encouraging, thank you for sharing! :love:

It also sounds like a genius idea to grab the nurse's hand, the dentist will surely be more careful then as he wouldn't want you to break her hand! :grin:

That's lovely to read and very encouraging, thank you for sharing! :love:

It also sounds like a genius idea to grab the nurse's hand, the dentist will surely be more careful then as he wouldn't want you to break her hand! :grin:
:love::ROFLMAO:

How are top root canal procedures if youve had one. I need one in my top left close ot my wisdom tooth..

How are top root canal procedures if youve had one. I need one in my top left close ot my wisdom tooth..

I had my first root canal this past summer, and it was on an upper 2nd molar. I don't have wisdom teeth anymore, but it was the one that would have been close.

It numbed easily, and I have difficulty getting numb. The procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. When she told me she was into the pulp, I was amazed because it was so quick, and painless.

I had my first root canal this past summer, and it was on an upper 2nd molar. I don't have wisdom teeth anymore, but it was the one that would have been close.

It numbed easily, and I have difficulty getting numb. The procedure wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. When she told me she was into the pulp, I was amazed because it was so quick, and painless.
Just got up from a nap because this tooth is making me feel ill... SO annoying I'm ready to get this fixed. Thank you. That's encouraging, I think the tooth I need done is 2 teeth away from my wisdom tooth instead of 1, so its next to the one you had done. It's sort of split in two, the tooth anyway. I just don't want to feel anything while they do it, since its such a sensitive and F'd up tooth. Thanks!!

I just had an upper done too, #14. in October. It numbed up great, and there was no pain during the procedure, for this pain there was a small amount of discomfort for a night , which I took advil/excedrin for. I personally am more comfortable with the upper local than lower because its not the whole block, so that is a good part too.

I just had an upper done too, #14. in October. It numbed up great, and there was no pain during the procedure, for this pain there was a small amount of discomfort for a night , which I took advil/excedrin for. I personally am more comfortable with the upper local than lower because its not the whole block, so that is a good part too.
So is the upper left not that bad, or in better terms, easier to numb and be painless than the lower block? I assume thats the lower row of teeth ( I'm a bit young and uneducated in dentist terms lol ) I wish people in my real life could offer me more help. My family and partner just tell me to get it done and theyll help anyway they can. But I'm still a bit scared of course. I worry that since it's my top left it will be hard for them to see and work on it properly. Any thoughts?

I would say the upper left is not that bad for me at least is my experience and I don't like the feeling of the numbness on the lower, like the whole area vs pretty much just localized to the tooth and surrounding area on the top . less the lower block is for the bottom teeth . I didn't know that term lower block iether until recently :). I think anytime you get work and especially the new and unknown it is scary.. I remember how panicked I was going through each step of the implant process in 2017 when I had it done. Now I will be a little more aware of the process and how it is but the first time for anything there is a learning curve. You are brave to do it .. and brave to take care of yourself like this!! I believe the defination of courage is feeling the fear , but doing it anyways. and its not easy but its worthy it.. for you.. you are worth it!!

p.s. I used to be afraid of that too being in the back teeth will it be harder for them.. but..I think they are very used to it and know what to do to take care of you in the best way whether front or in back. :)

So is the upper left not that bad, or in better terms, easier to numb and be painless than the lower block?

Getting you properly numb is the absolute pre-requisite of ANY treatment (you can find details about this here), no matter on which tooth and no matter in which state the tooth is. Dentistry doesn't have to be painful. The usual way would be to tell your dentist how afraid of pain you are and agree on a stop signal. After you got numbed up, the dentist will check if things work. Should you, during any part of the procedure feel uncomfortable, you can use the stop signal and let your dentist solve the problem. Dentistry had developed so much and painless treatment is the basis.

So is the upper left not that bad, or in better terms, easier to numb and be painless than the lower block? I assume thats the lower row of teeth ( I'm a bit young and uneducated in dentist terms lol ) I wish people in my real life could offer me more help. My family and partner just tell me to get it done and theyll help anyway they can. But I'm still a bit scared of course. I worry that since it's my top left it will be hard for them to see and work on it properly. Any thoughts?

I think the upper teeth in general numb more easily, at least from my experience. The work I had done on upper molars was always easier than the lower. I had to have more shots on the lower to numb the tooth completely when I had a filling on my lower molar.

You will feel much better after getting it taken care of!!

I think the upper teeth in general numb more easily, at least from my experience. The work I had done on upper molars was always easier than the lower. I had to have more shots on the lower to numb the tooth completely when I had a filling on my lower molar.

You will feel much better after getting it taken care of!!
thank you, I have to make a call tomorrow and I am dreading it.. I don't want to have to go through all this concious and awake. Ugh. Calling an IV sedation place first, but I doubt insurance / my savings can pay for it. I really hope shots and laughing gas would do the trick and I'd be pain free.. but theres still the nervous doubt in my mind because it's something I havent done or experienced before... I was avoiding this SO much, and now I'm facing the fear.. HOW was the upper root canal experience, other than not feeling much pain, did the noise or pressure freak anyone out? or was it okay?

thank you, I have to make a call tomorrow and I am dreading it.. I don't want to have to go through all this concious and awake. Ugh. Calling an IV sedation place first, but I doubt insurance / my savings can pay for it. I really hope shots and laughing gas would do the trick and I'd be pain free.. but theres still the nervous doubt in my mind because it's something I havent done or experienced before... I was avoiding this SO much, and now I'm facing the fear.. HOW was the upper root canal experience, other than not feeling much pain, did the noise or pressure freak anyone out? or was it okay?
Honestly, I was having the exact same fear you are. With the laughing gas, the whole root canal experience was not that bad. Not nearly as bad as I had imagined. The nitrous made it so that the drill didn't bother me, and the drilling doesn't last long. Then they use files, and all you feel is some tugging, no awful noises.

Honestly, I was having the exact same fear you are. With the laughing gas, the whole root canal experience was not that bad. Not nearly as bad as I had imagined. The nitrous made it so that the drill didn't bother me, and the drilling doesn't last long. Then they use files, and all you feel is some tugging, no awful noises.
Hmm okay.. So during the root canal you felt no pain, intense pressure, or uncomfortability? Thank you for the info, I need to find a good dentist but I'm not sure how.. If this procedure isn't associated with annoying pain and sounds, I think I can get through it :) I just have to be convinced. Lol! I imagine it to be terrible, I know it isn't.. But I just can't stop freaking myself out and destroying any courage I build up. I wish they would give me 2-4 weeks of antibiotics instead of a week, so I can know the infection in my mouth and head are gone and I have time to mentally prep.. Is that possible? the last doctor acted like I had some shady agenda for wanting antibiotics longer than 7 days.. I just hate feeling rushed into the operation, it will lead me to avoid it altogether if I'm not fully prepared..

Hmm okay.. So during the root canal you felt no pain, intense pressure, or uncomfortability? Thank you for the info, I need to find a good dentist but I'm not sure how.. If this procedure isn't associated with annoying pain and sounds, I think I can get through it :) I just have to be convinced. Lol! I imagine it to be terrible, I know it isn't.. But I just can't stop freaking myself out and destroying any courage I build up. I wish they would give me 2-4 weeks of antibiotics instead of a week, so I can know the infection in my mouth and head are gone and I have time to mentally prep.. Is that possible? the last doctor acted like I had some shady agenda for wanting antibiotics longer than 7 days.. I just hate feeling rushed into the operation, it will lead me to avoid it altogether if I'm not fully prepared..

I would actually avoid antibiotics now. I took so many this summer and fall for all the different issues I had going on with my mouth, and it messed up my gut pretty badly. I was under watch from my doctor for c.diff. Thankfully, I never got it, but even now, my endodontist did not prescribe antibiotics when she did my apicoectomy.

The root canal will get rid of any infection that is lingering. When you see a dentist, theymay prescribe you another round of antibiotics if they feel it is necessary before the root canal.

Honestly, I would try to get it done as soon as possible. With the nitrous, there are no sounds, and the nitrous helps the local anesthetic work better, because you are relaxed. I was really surprised at how quickly the time went, and I could "zone out" with the nitrous, but still be aware of what was going on if I needed to communicate. It feels kind of like thay state where you are just about to fall asleep and are drowsy, but can wake up if someone talks to you. Everything sounds muted, and you can tune in or out. Theu ca also turn the nitrous titrations up or down, if you need more or less.

Mountainmama really describes everything great so nothing to add but. the most important thing would be to do it with a dentist that you are comfortable would stop if you needed to , and feeling they would listen to you and take all your concerns seriously. Because of this I could relax more knowing if I felt anything my dentist would stop and relieve that. If they are rushed or rude I would not proceed. You can get a good vibe pretty quickly how they will treat you. The endo I went to I didn't know. But the way he came in and asked about my questions or concerns and if I had anxiety about anything specific and made it solid to raise my hand if I had any pain or discomfort .. He was serious about my comfort level and I knew it. My dentist now too. I knew that he wasn't going to let me be in any pain. and none of the times I was .

Mountainmama really describes everything great so nothing to add but. the most important thing would be to do it with a dentist that you are comfortable would stop if you needed to , and feeling they would listen to you and take all your concerns seriously. Because of this I could relax more knowing if I felt anything my dentist would stop and relieve that. If they are rushed or rude I would not proceed. You can get a good vibe pretty quickly how they will treat you. The endo I went to I didn't know. But the way he came in and asked about my questions or concerns and if I had anxiety about anything specific and made it solid to raise my hand if I had any pain or discomfort .. He was serious about my comfort level and I knew it. My dentist now too. I knew that he wasn't going to let me be in any pain. and none of the times I was .
I hope I can get this same result. I have to do some searching tomorrow. I have no clue how to find one I can trust. When calling offices, do I ask to talk to the dentist or should I make appointments at various offices to meet them. It would be hard for me to go to many other offices to do that at the moment, but I need to get this figured out. Is there an easy way to find a highly reputable dentist/endo?

I hope I can get this same result. I have to do some searching tomorrow. I have no clue how to find one I can trust. When calling offices, do I ask to talk to the dentist or should I make appointments at various offices to meet them. It would be hard for me to go to many other offices to do that at the moment, but I need to get this figured out. Is there an easy way to find a highly reputable dentist/endo?

I got recommendations from people in the area, but I live in a small town and there are not a lot of options. One endodontic office in the closest city. I was very lucky in that the dentist I was recommended referred me to the best (in my opinion) endodontist in the office.

If you can't get recommendations from others, I would call and tell the receptionist up front that you are an anxious patient. In my experience at many different dentists (we have moved a lot), the receptionist usually knows everything and they can let you know if it will be a good fit. You probably won't get to talk to the dentist, but you could always leave your number and ask for them to call you back. Or schedule a consult appointment, to get a feel for how the dentist is.

Have you tried FB'ing some offices. I had met some really nice and very caring dentists that way. matter a fact. I was fbing and 3 dentists themselves had very nice conversations with me on a weekday evening after office hours, just reassuring and encouraging me to come in and they want to help and wouldn't judge and I went in to meet two of those and if I hadn't found my current dentist there is no doubt I would go with one of them. and have recommended them to others . so... that I felt was a very non threatening way to reach out to dental offices. and then get a really good feeling about them at the meet and great they offered at no charge.. it helps to go in and not worry about doing any treatment but just to meet and see if you can work with them and how you connect. Sometimes people don't have time for this step between . but I do highly recommend it :).

Back