• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower Left Wisdom Removal

A

Ali

Ok so to cut a very long story short, I have a massive dental phobia (and like everybody else I believe my phobia is the worst than anybody elses....no matter how many times I try to control it its like a horrible monster).

Anyhoo I have taken the first step and booked several appointments 2 weeks apart to have a few teeth and roots removed

On my first appointment in 10 days time I will be having the 1st molar on the left which has broken down to the gum line removed, and the left wisdom removed which has just decayed to the gum line and has a big fat hole in it

The dentist (he is brilliant I must say) has shown me the xray and the wisdom has slightly bent roots.

Im having this under Local anaesthetic only and the dentist assures me it wil be simple, but although I try to put on a brave face I am terrified and break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Can somebody advise the procedure and if it will be completely numb. Im scared that it has curved roots and it will be a pain to take out (although my dentist assures me otherwise), im also scared that both teeth has decayed down to the gum level are these easier to take out??

Any advice and support will be great.

I fully intend to update the forum as my journey to my smile goes on and hopefully I can put all the traumatic extractions behind me

Hi if your dentist says these are simple to get out they will be. The process is: you will be totally numbed, if you feel anything apart from a little pressure let the dentist know. You can arrange a stop signal before he starts usually raising your arm. He can test the area to make sure you are numb if you aren't sure.

Once you have gone numb, they will prepare the teeth/roots and then simply lift them out. You won't even know they have gone until they tell you it is done. They will then ask you to bite on a roll this helps the clot to form and helps stop the bleeding. When they are happy the clot is forming which doesn't take long you can go.

It happens so quickly you will be amazed. You won't feel anything at all.

Teeth that have broken down to the gum line are easier to remove than full teeth. They will give you some aftercare instructions, follow them. :butterfly:

Back