• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower partial denture

Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy

So for those of you that don’t know I recently got my lower snap on partial denture a couple of weeks ago and everything was going good initially, but I now need to go back in next week and have it adjusted because it’s rubbing up against my gums in the back and I was wondering if anybody has any tips or tricks as to how to learn how to eat with it again I’m really struggling with eating when they’re in my mouth any advice or do you appreciated thanks

Hi. I’m the end, it’s the dentist’s responsibility to make the denture stable. Generally speaking, a partial denture at the lower jaw can be a challenge. Is it a frame or a partial denture? A frame has a metal skeleton that holds on to the existing teeth and that is much more stable than a partial with just Acryl.

It’s a metal frame that is holding the prosthetic teeth

That’s very good. A metal frame is great.
When were the teeth extracted? After a tooth extraction it takes about two months for the gum to gain its final shape. The new form of the gum is always smaller than the gum before the extraction (a tooth induces bone creation and once the tooth is gone the bone gets shorter and the gum with it).
If that’s the case, you need to add more material to the denture, on the side facing the gum. Ideally is to let a dental lab to do that (the procedure is called reline) and in the meanwhile you can add some over the counter material (such as cookie-dent) but that’s a temporary compromise.
Hope it makes sense.

It does make sense in a way. I am having them readjusted next week because they are currently rubbing on my gums which is causing me a lot of discomfort.

It’s just gonna take me a while to get used to chewing with them in

Back